K5TYP--Keesler AFB, Biloxi MS

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Clubs' started by N3AWS, Jun 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K5OP

K5OP Ham Member QRZ Page

Also for your awareness, the building custodian of Locker House, (current location of all of the club's property) is going to be demolished shortly, and he reached out to me to see what could be done to save everything. I spoke to the person managing the exodus from the building, and they are hoping I or someone can come in and remove everything, otherwise it's all going to the dumpster. They won't even consider DRMO. So I'm trying to find some help with base-access to pack up the most important stuff and relocate it to a temporary storage until somehow a new location on base is found. I'm trying to prevent losing everything, and finding someone who can help get the club operational again.

2. KL7BX

KL7BX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Jimmy!! Long time no hear!! I don't know if you'll remember me, but I was stationed at Keesler AFB in the early half of the 1990s, and was a member of the K5TYP HAM Club. At that time I was KB5LLE, and was an instructor in JONES Hall & ALLEE Hall. My Callsign is now KL7BX... I was one of the club members helping to INSTALL the delta loop wire antenna onto the 3 utility poles the Civil Engineering Squadron folks planted in the ground for the club to use. I remember spending HOURS sorting thru, segregating, TESTING, and LABELING all the vacuum tubes that had been donated to the K5TYP Club. I was there when the IC-745 was first being activated and used as the Club Station HF rig, and all the other club equipment was being moved into the triangle facility. The Club President at the time I was there was Dr Bob Mathis, N5MRN. Steve Gehring/NTOJ & I maintained the club's 2 Mtr Repeater in the penthouse structure of the Hospital, and he & I collaborated to install the Delta Loop wire antenna. Last I heard, when leaving Alaska in the summer of 2012, Steve had a new Callsign and was living about 40 miles NE of Anchorage AK, in the rural area outside of Palmer AK. I can't remember his AK Callsign right now, though. I am now retired from the USAF as of the fall of 2004, and am living and working in the Longview TX area, as a radio/electronics tech for the TX DPS Troopers in Tyler TX. I hope you are successful in your attempt to revive the K5TYP club. We all had some good times there! I remember participating in the ARRL Field Day ops out at the KAFB Golf Course one summer, and had a great time! Check out my QRZ.com Bio, and you might remember me, from the photo! I've put on a "few" pounds since that photo was taken, however. I was as skinny as a rail when I was instructing Ground Radio Communications Maintenance at Keesler AFB. My email address on QRZ.com IS correct, if you would like to correspond for anything else K5TYP-related. Gotta get off the keyboard. Have to start a 10 hour road trip tomorrow morning at 0500!!! 73!! Good Luck with K5TYP revival!! :)

3. AA5BK

AA5BK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Very cool. My wife and I stay there from time to time. Wonderful medical facilities.