K5TYP--Keesler AFB, Biloxi MS

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Clubs' started by N3AWS, Jun 29, 2019.

ad: abrind-2
  1. K5OP

K5OP Ham Member QRZ Page

I had planned on working FD 2020 with Jackson County Amateur Radio Club again this year, but right now I don't know what's going to happen. MSCARA has been talking on the air about how they might have to cancel FD as a club because of COVID-19. They might setup on private property. I would like to do something in a club environment but just don't know yet how things are going to pan out.

2. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

The January 2021 Digital QST just went on-line and I was pleased to see that Ernie W5OXA (SK)’s QSL card is one of those featured in the W1AW QSL File on page 32. What a great way to honor Ernie who was the MS SM back in the mid 90’s!

Jim N3AWS

3. K5OP

K5OP Ham Member QRZ Page

Trying to get an amateur radio club started back up on base again for the students and perm.party and all of the civilians, and retirees. Keesler just started a new concept to get people on base more active in social activities, and clubs. Check the page out https://www.keesler.af.mil/Keesler-Connections/

Still needing someone who can help with being the trustee of the repeater. Last info I heard was the Spectrum Management was planning on pulling the repeater out of the hospital and tossing it in the garbage, along with the antenna. Not cool....

4. K8DCS

K8DCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was born on Keesler AFB in 1970

K5OP likes this.
  5. K5OP

K5OP Ham Member QRZ Page

81st TRW started a new concept to reconnect the military on Keesler during COVID-19 and the after effect of it, called Keesler Clubs. And I reached out to the leadership and suggested an Amateur Radio club as one of the many clubs being formed like Cycling, Martial Arts, Computer gaming, Photography, etc. They made me the mentor of the Amateur Radio club (no affiliation with K5TYP) but it's a start to see what kind of interest I can garner from the active duty stationed on base. Well the first big event is set to happen this Thursday April 29th 2021 at the base marina. All Active Duty, retirees, dod civilian, dependents who have base access are welcome to attend this gathering of all the clubs. It will happen from 10 AM until 1 PM at the Marina, there will be food trucks available. I would like to invite all amateurs who are active, or retired, and have base access to come visit. I intend to setup an HF station, and I'll have my HT on the 146.730- repeater (136.5 hz tone) I plan to bring photos of PAST K5TYP to show off and remind the current batch of airmen that this base used to have a thriving amateur radio club, and that we could once again revive K5TYP. - Jimmy K5OP

N3AWS likes this.
  6. AA5BK

AA5BK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

COOL!! They have a great medical center there. Congrats on retirement.

N3AWS likes this.
  7. N3AWS

Jimmy, sorry I missed this! How did the event go? Is there any on-going effort?

Jim N3AWS

8. N3AWS

Sorry to report that N5TF is now a SK.

9. K5OP

K5OP Ham Member QRZ Page

The event occurred during the normal duty day, so the crowd was lite. Only had one person come to my table and he wasn't very interested in radio. Not much has happened since then. We had a meeting in the Don Wyle and there was a plan to setup at a student run, but I can't make that.

N3AWS likes this.
  10. K5OP

K5OP Ham Member QRZ Page

While we're on the topic of SK's I was just looking up a ham who was stationed at Keesler, and I remember he and my Mom both took their Technician Class test together on base back in 1989. N5OTI Merryl May. I noticed his licensed never was renewed and it's fixing to expire. So I looked him up, and found this. https://www.frenchfunerals.com/obituary/Merryl-May