K5TYP--Keesler AFB, Biloxi MS

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Clubs' started by N3AWS, Jun 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K5OP

K5OP Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm going to reach out to the director of 72nd FSS and let him know his name is associated with it. Hopefully he can point me to the right person at Keesler that will be willing to take it on. I'll be glad to assist them with renewing the license so it doesn't expire. If you do get back in give me a heads up and I'll be on the lookout for your account. There is a 2 meter net on 146.730 on Tuesday and Thursday nights, and one on 145.110 on Wednesday nights at 8pm.

2. K5OP

K5OP Ham Member QRZ Page

Ahh good memories.... Welcome to the thread Harry! I was a member from 1987 to 2000. Yeah they moved us from the old correctional custody building next to meadows dr. into the triangle and the first couple of floors was AFOSI. I didn't spend a whole lot of time there. There use to be an IC-745 and a Henry 2K Classic that had a cabinet it sat on. I use to spend time there too but like you I only showed up when no one else was there. The repeater was, and still is in hospital where I work. Right after we moved the president was Lt. Col Charles Kunz (AA5QJ). There was another person from the hospital named Brad Matthis. My memory gets a little fuzzy with that.

3. K5OP

K5OP Ham Member QRZ Page

Here are a couple of pictures taken of the K5TYP 2 meter repeater just a week ago.

Attached Files:

N3AWS likes this.
  4. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah! Finally replaced the repeater I was keeping on the air with solder and spare parts out of that electronics shop just outside the gate on Pass Road back in the 80s! :)

N3AWS likes this.
  5. KQ4MM

KQ4MM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ahhh.. Hoopers Electronics Store... Bought my first new rig from them back in the 80's

N3AWS likes this.
  6. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

I took my oldest daughter there when I first got stationed at Keesler in 1996. The lady who was working there told her it was the “Candy Store”. When we got home my wife asked where we had been and my daughter piped up “the Candy Store!”

7. K5OP

K5OP Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember her! Name escapes me now. My first HT was bought there too. ICOM IC-micro 2AT

8. KQ4MM

KQ4MM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I want to say her name way Joyce or Joy, ...but not sure. Used to also frequent pass roads pets also, owner was Gerwin.. was there a few years ago when son was in ATC school and he was still in business and we had a nice visit.

9. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone have any plans for Field Day?

10. K5OP

K5OP Ham Member QRZ Page

JOYCE that's her name....