K5TYP--Keesler AFB, Biloxi MS

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Clubs' started by N3AWS, Jun 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

They used to publish them each month in QST but I don't remember seeing them for years. Pretty popular feature, though.

2. K5CUB

K5CUB Ham Member QRZ Page

I was a member of K5TYP from 1987 until the early 1990's. I used to go over on Sunday afternoon's and operate 10M. I would like to get the repeater going again. I would love to get a Fusion repeater. That would allow normal analog comm as well as the Yaesu Fusion worldwide system. I think it would be a very popular room for old members to get back in touch. What do you all think about this idea? Lee, K5CUB - ex N5JUM

N3AWS likes this.
  3. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow! What an idea! I'm still hesitating on VHF/UHF digital because I'm waiting for DMR to eventually squash D-Star and Fusion. But if K5TYP gets a Fusion repeater up with a Wires-X interface, I'll just *HAVE* to buy a Yaesu and a hot spot! (two things wrong with that: not Icom, not DMR... but I'll just *HAVE* to!)
    Member K5TYP 1981 - 1986

N3AWS likes this.
  4. N3AWS

Hi everyone!

I retire on 30 Sept and so will lose my work iPhone and e-mail address. My new main e-mail will be james.walroth@icloud.com

I can do facetime on my iPAD if I have a wi-fi connection.

Jim N3AWS

5. W8DM

W8DM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats on the retirement. I came home from Nebraska and a week later, I got called back out and sent to Georgia for Hurricane Dorian!
    Well, I am back on the Gulf Coast again! Maybe mother nature will let me stay a few weeks! lol.....

6. W5JGW

W5JGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually Ernie is now a silent key as of about 2 months ago I'm sorry to say..... he checked into the Mississippi Section Phone Net every night. I've been the net manager of that net for several years.

Jeff - W5JGW
    Biloxi

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  7. N3AWS

Very, very sorry to hear that! He was always a gentleman!

Jim N3AWS

8. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, very sorry to hear that. Ernie and I used to work 6 meters together in the early 90's while I was stationed at Keesler. Fine gentleman and ham. :(

9. K5OP

K5OP Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow the thread died down.... N3AWS what happened? Are you okay? I figured you'd be busy with the holidays and move back here. Just checking on you. In the recent weeks I turned a fellow co-worker in the KMC onto ham radio and he got his study guide, studied for about a month and then went and passed his TECH. 3 weeks later he studied for his General and last week (Jan 2 2020) he took and passed his General. KI5HOU/AG is his callsign. You might know him, he's been here for several years. His name is James Stewart. His job in systems is pc tech, but he primarily deploys and maintains all of the network printers and MFDs. And now we are working on another guy in systems who use to be an SP and is our cybersecurity guy in systems. He's expressed interest in ham radio. Would like to know what the status on getting 146.790 back on air is. Other locals have asked me as well.

10. W4XK

W4XK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi gang,
    I got bored with 30 meter CW this evening and decided to browse the QRZ forums. I ran across this one which triggered
    a lot of memories, so I thought I would jump in with a short history lesson. I was a member of the Keesler club while in
    airborne radar tech school in late 1958 and early 59. Cap'n Alex, W4ZST and Major Don ???, K9??? were the leaders and
    driving force behind the club at that time. Cap'n Alex was a hometown neighbor of mine, although I didn't know him
    until we met at Keesler. https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/azcentral/obituary.aspx?n=charles-d-alexander&pid=16755315
    We had a clubhouse in the old WWII wooden barracks area adjacent to the MARS station, K5FGJ/AF5FGJ. We used the
    K5FGJ call for FD and other ham activities. We had no equipment and used whatever the members could gather up for an operating event.

About this time, we decided that the club needed its own call, so we applied to the FCC and were awarded K5TYP. That was
    either late '58 or early '59. My personal log shows a contact with K5FGJ in mid November of '58. My first logged contact
    with K5TYP was in April of '61, after I was in California, so I can't pin down the K5TYP license to an actual date. I hope that
    I have attached a QSL from the K5FGJ days, and also a photo of my mobile parked in front of the clubhouse (not visible).
    If you look closely next to the utility pole you can see my Master Mobile 80-10 antenna, connected to an Elmac AF-67 and
    Morrow ???? receiver in the car.

73, Bill W4XK (K4CBE way back when)

Well, I can't figure out how to add photos so here are links to them:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/nfc8ucl8dr8m6bz/K4CBE-1.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/1nus96r90yu74uh/AF5FGJ.bmp?dl=0