K5TYP--Keesler AFB, Biloxi MS

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Clubs' started by N3AWS, Jun 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. K5OP

K5OP Ham Member QRZ Page

Another article from 2011. One of the last ones ever posted since the club went dormant.
    I don't know him, and never have heard that callsign on the local machines. According to the ULS his licence is set to expire this November. He was born in 1940. A Google street view of his house does show a commercial 2meter antenna on a mast with an inverted V dipole, and some other unid. antennas. Looks like his Wife is licensed too under the callsign KC5KMU. I emailed him at the address in QRZ several weeks back to ask him if you wouldn't mind updating the bio but never got a response. I checked all of the local obits and he's not listed in any.

Attached Files:

N3AWS likes this.
  2. K5OP

K5OP Ham Member QRZ Page

You didn't teach my class. It was a guy with red hair named Bill. His callsign eludes me. Besides you would of remembered me. I was probably the only teenager in the class. But I was in the class for 1 month and it would of been April of 1988. Steve should remember him, he was very active at that time. And I remember that shortly after I passed my test that guy vanished.. Funny how that happens in the USAF. We stopped attending meetings and going to the club during the time it was in the triangle. All of those dorms are gone. In fact all of those roads were turned into pedistrian marching lanes. Vehicles can only drive around the outside of the area. Everything is modenized now.

N3AWS likes this.
  3. K5OP

K5OP Ham Member QRZ Page

According to the EXIF information on the picture it was taken Wednesday, September 2, 2009. Don (W8DM) still lives in Windsor with his wife, we see them from time to time walking on Front Beach in down town OS not far from where we live. I don't recognize the names of either of the two you mentioned. And I wasn't at that FD. Someone submitted that photo of Phil during the field day.

N3AWS likes this.
  4. K5OP

K5OP Ham Member QRZ Page

Did anyone know that Keesler Amateur Radio Club has 2 licensed callsigns associated with it? I did a callsign lookup by zipcode for Keesler (39534) and came up with these two hits. 500 Fisher is the Sablich Center.

K5TYP
    KEESLER AMATEUR RADIO CLUB
    500 Fisher St - Bldg 701 - Rm 232
    Keesler AFB, MS 39534
    USA
    Page managed by K5KMU Lookups: 3162

KF5KVZ
    Keesler Amateur Radio Club
    500 Fisher Street Bldg 701 Room 232
    Keesler AFB, MS 39534
    USA

N3AWS likes this.
  5. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

If Don is still around, I imagine he would be interested in re-starting the club. There was another member--Eric--can't recall his last name or call but he was quite active. I think he served as Treasurer. Here at Travis I see a lot of ham call plates on cars but AFAIK there is no active club.

6. N3AWS

Jim O'Hern's call is AD4XX and he currently lives in North Carolina. He operates mostly CW.

Jim N3AWS

7. N3AWS

I've done some on-line sleuthing and I think I might know him. I think he goes by "Butch" and this is probably a vanity call as the call is not at all familiar. There were a few ops from Gulfport that would come to the meetings. If this is who I think it is, he was fairly active in the club. I believe he is related to another ham from Gulfport who's first name is Claude IIRC. Last mention of his call I can find on-line was a QSO in March of 2017.

8. K5OP

K5OP Ham Member QRZ Page

Don seems to be traveling a lot. I'll see what he thinks of it next time I run into him. I attached a screenshot of all of the known military club callsigns as of 2/2019.

Attached Files:

9. K5OP

K5OP Ham Member QRZ Page

KE6UEU - USA

TRAVIS MILITARY AFFILIATE RADIO SYSTEM STN
    23rd Combat Comm. Sqd - 550 Airlift Dr - Bldg 350
    Travis AFB, CA 94535-2190
    USA
    ATTN Stephan R Silen, WB6KWL

N3AWS likes this.
  10. N3AWS

How are things along the MS Gulf Coast? Barry seems to be slamming NO.