ad: Radclub22-1

K5D Desecheo DXpedition 2009 Update!

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by KP3S, Feb 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KU2US

KU2US Ham Member QRZ Page

SUPER JOB

I cant believe I got you guys at 11PM on 20 meters at a 59+ here in Western NY.! I used a Par 20m end fed up 30'..at 100 watts...Great DXpedition, super effort and I know many appreciate K5D. Keep up the good work and ignore the LIDS. 73-Ken

2. CO7PH

CO7PH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for a new one.

Many thanks for a new one, now in 5 bands, Can not found the QSO on 15 meters, maybe a worng callsing entry.

Appreciate a big chalenge, doing good job, even under a hard weather conditions. Greetings to everyone.

God bless you all and have fun DXing.

Sincerally Ed.

3. KC0SCO

KC0SCO Ham Member QRZ Page

great job!!!!

Hope all is well, Your doing a great job. I finally was able to get 17m my only
    contact so far. GREAT JOB KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND HAVE FUN.
    KC0SCO 73

4. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hear em working split 18160tx/18150rx but doubt if I can get through the pileup with my lil dipole and 100w.

5. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

p.s. isnt 18.160 the freq used for sstv??

6. K2XC

K2XC Guest

I have had QSO's on 3 bands 17, 20 & 80m so far with K5D using a dipole and 100watts. Watch the DX cluster and see which time is best for your call area and locate the right split freqs.

7. AC7VX

AC7VX Ham Member QRZ Page

Arrrrgggg....like the man said fellas "he's working split !"

8. KP3S

KP3S Guest

2/20/2009

February 20, 2009

0315Z: Group #3 all arrived safely this afternoon and Group #2 is now on their way home, tired but gratified by the experience.
    The seas are even higher and we've lost several antennas on the beach due to guy-points being washed away. We'll work on restoring those antennas tomorrow.

We now have a more robust internet connection and the gap between uploaded logs should begin to shrink.

Note: While the online lookup function is very helpful, it cannot correct any problems we discover in the logs. Those will be dealt with when we're off island. In short, if you cannot find a Q in the online log, work us again just to be certain!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    February 19, 2009

2000Z: More pictures are up.
    1800Z: At 5am local the seas were high and continued high all morning; we made the decision to use a helicopter to bring Group #3 over and to take Group #2 back to Rincon. Once the decision was made, the seas became even higher as if to endorse that decision. Group #3 took off from Rincon just now and in 4-5 trips we should have accomplished the swap. In case you don't remember the plan:

Group #1 is the eight men who will be on Deescheo for the full two weeks

Group #2 is the seven men who started with Group#1 and are departing today

Group #3 is the seven men replacing Group #2 today

Thanks to the operators of Group #2 who contributed mightily to the QSO count to-date!
    The first helicopter trip today sees the return of our internet tech with new equipment and software that will get us faster and more reliable internet communications. We hope to update the online log search data more often starting this evening.

QSOs are just over 65,000 at this writing. To save fuel, we're running the entire camp on a single generator and reducing power on the amplifiers for the same reason.

0300Z: The wind blew hard all night. Fortunately no rain accompanied the system coming through. The seas are spectacular with waves and spray going 30-40 feet into the air. Great fun to watch, but doesn't bode well for the crew changeover scheduled for later today.

We are on the helicopter pad hundreds of feet from the sea, but the sound can be heard through the pileups.

Group #3 is safely settled in their hotel, a stones-throw from the boat departure point. They completed UXO training tonight and are ready to come to the Island. Forecasts for the next two days are for continued high seas making a boat landing extremely hazardous and thus not an option. We can only hope the seas will die down as fast as they came up...the first sign will be the diminishing wind, but it has picked up again tonight and blowing hard.

Radio operations continue to be productive with 6-7 stations QRV 24/7. The QSO count is 60,000 as this is written, and everyone is having fun while working hard.

All the antennas have survived so far and we;'ve experienced no failures with any equipment. Let's see what tomorrow brings!

9. W4WSW

W4WSW Ham Member QRZ Page

Just Keep trying, I got them in 15, 17, 20 & 30m using just a Screwdriver Antenna in my back yard.... This is really Fun when you figth with those Big Guns out there.....

73's de W4WSW
    Luis....

10. VO1XH

VO1XH Ham Member QRZ Page

K5D

Glad to have worked K5D on 17 SSB yesterday.Great group of operators throughout the event. I hope to work Desecheo again on 40m early in the morning as it seems that here in VO1 Land most of the locals I've spoke with have had success at that time.Thanks for a first class DX-pedition and hopefully there will be more.73 Don,VO1XH

11. VO1XH

VO1XH Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep tryin,I was successful using the same set up,G5RV Dipole,Kenwood TS570D 100w.My antenna up at 25 feet. Not impossible,good luck,73,Don,VO1XH;););););)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.