ad: Radclub22-1

K4HX -- David ("Dave") Edwin Smith

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by K4YP, Oct 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K4YP

K4YP Ham Member QRZ Page

K4HX (ex-K4NLH)
    DAVID (DAVE) EDWIN SMITH
    BECAME A SILENT KEY
    ON FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 19, 2008
    AT 2:00 P.M. (U. S. EASTERN TIME)
    IN CHARLOTTE, N. C.,
    I REGRET TO INFORM.

Dave and I met each other on the air and were friends, on-the-air and face-to-face, for the next 36 years and 4 months. Then he died, from brain cancer, on us. Dave was generous to not only me but also others.

Dave and I -- over those years -- coordinated on dozens of antenna projects, travelled to scores of hamfests, exchanged 100s of emails, QSO'd 1000s of times, and got to know each others' families. Right now, within my reach is my in-shack rig he maintained (at all hours, day and night) and within my sight is my 64-foot tower he climbed (in all weather, fair and foul). His survivors will have, as he requested, his callsign engraved into his tombstone. I am pleased to have spoken at his funeral where I shared as many of our experiences together as I could. There was, as Dave would have liked, laughter.

Dave and I, the last time we talked, when the time had come for our final words to each other, both knew that then was not the time for a ham-to-ham "73 TO YOU" but the time for a heart-to-heart "BYE FOR NOW."

Ed Harris -- K4YP

k4yp@arrl.net
    198 Georgia Ave.
    Forest City, N. C. 28043-3727
    828-245-9662 (24/7)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  2. K0MD

K0MD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A ham's ham

I met Dave on the air, at 3763 ~ 14 years ago. He was a nice man, always concerned for others and was willing to share his technical advice when asked. He enjoyed our hobby and could operate remotely from the broadcasting station where he worked when doing so was quite difficult to figure out. He had a great sense of humor.

I am most appreciative of his recommendation of a vanity call for me - the current call I have.

I talked with him several times in the last year of his life and regret that he was not able to enjoy his new Yagi very much. I will remember him for his love for his children and wife as well as this hobby.

Scott, K0MD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.