ad: AbAuRe-1

K4EDX -Rene' Stiegler III- Longtime Net Manager of the "Maritime Mobile Service Net"

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by W5BIB, Feb 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It is with great sadness that I report the sudden passing of a long-time friend. Rene' had a long and illustrious career in Radio Broadcasting (AM & FM) - as well as at one time owning/operating WLO/KLB/WSC - Mobile Marine Radio & Shipcom.com. & other communications business's.

Rene' has been the net manager for the 'Maritime Mobile Service Net" for over twenty-five years & operated as Net-Control on Tuesday nights.

We just found out this news an hour or so ago & wanted to pass this info along to his many many friends in ham radio & the communications industry in general. I'm sure a more detailed & informative obituary will be forthcoming. Rene' was born in 1947, & would have turned 71 this year.

Rene' was undoubtedly one of the finest Morse Operators/Persons I've ever had the pleasure to know & operate alongside of.

"Fair Winds & Following Seas" my friend.

Steve / W5BIB (WLO-KLB)

From the "Maritime Mobile Service Net" site:
    http://www.mmsn.org/album/sk/k4edx.html

K4EDX - nw QRT - SK/CL dit dit

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    NL7W likes this.
  2. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice words, Steve. I'm sure he was a fine man. RIP.

3. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

K4EDX - Rene Albert Stiegler III - [1947-2018]
    Obituary:

[​IMG]

Rene Albert Stiegler, III was born in New Orleans, LA and lived a blessed life, finding roots in Mobile, AL. He unexpectedly, but peacefully passed away in his home on Mon Luis Island on Monday, February 5, 2018. He was preceded in death by his loving parents, Kinta and Rene Stiegler, Jr., and is survived by his beloved wife of 37 years, Susan Pawlowski Stiegler; children Rene"Ray" (Rebecca) Stiegler, IV of Palm Bay, FL, Brandice (Joe) Griffin of Orange Beach, AL, Jason Stiegler of Los Angeles, CA, Jonathan Stiegler of Mobile, AL, and his four siblings: Gary (Kimberly) Stiegler, Kim (Lisa) Stiegler, Kinta (Jackie) Godwin, Karen (George) Lupton, as well as six grandchildren, numerous nieces, nephews, cousins, his beloved father-in-law Alfred Pawlowski, and countless friends and loved ones. At a young age, Rene began his career as a radio-personality, then became a broadcasting engineer for regional television and radio, both of which were life-long passions. Later in life, his entrepreneurial spirit led him down paths in technology and engineering, where he became Founder and President of shipcom.com and WLO - Mobile Marine Radio. Rene was a member of the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary and received commendation from the U.S. Coast Guard for his assistance during Hurricane Katrina. He was a ham radio enthusiast, Morse operator and Net Manager for the "Maritime Mobile Service Net," call-sign "K4EDX". He found joy in playing music, socializing with family and friends, boating and fishing, relaxing on the water and caring for his dogs. A Memorial Mass and Celebration of Rene's Life will be held Saturday, February 10th at St. Rose of Lima Church, Coden, AL, with visitation beginning at 10:00 am and services at 11:00 am. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations to be made to the Alabama Kidney Foundation.

Published in the Mobile Press Register on Feb. 9, 2018

[​IMG] 77/73 Rene'
    DIT DIT

Steve / W5BIB

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  4. K0RVB

K0RVB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is such sad news. I remember checking in to the net many times and Rene was always the most professional, courteous net control. There have been many ships at sea that benefited from Rene's knowledge and ability to pull in weak vessels and assist them in whatever way he could. The amateur family will greatly miss Rene, as will many ships that have talked with him.
    Fair winds and following seas my friend. The storms have passed and it's clear sailing ahead!
    You will be missed.
    73 de John K0RVB

W5BIB likes this.