ad: Schulman-1

K4AWO David Rankin

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by W4YJC, Mar 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W4YJC

W4YJC Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave Rankin is my brother-in-law. He and I have been hams as well as family members since he came into our family. He was a Radiologist and pioneered slow scan transmission of x-ray images by ham radio to other docs, particularly in South America long before the wonderful transmission techniques we have today were available.

Diagnoistic readings were made in short order by US docs for their colleages when the medical expertise was not available locally to diagnose a difficult problem. Today, this and more is routine and done many times a day, however, it was quite "experimental in the '60s and '70s".

Dave passed away on January 22, 2006 at age 61. He lived in Apple Valley, OH, where he finally got the "ham station" set up that he always wanted.

He not only "played" ham radio but "lived" it,with his pioneering medical/ham radio contributions. He is, of course, missed in our family and in his ham family also.

If there is any ham radio operation in Heaven, I'm sure Dave is actively involved.

73's my friend...

2. KE5QMH

KE5QMH Ham Member QRZ Page

My heart knows the loss of a true friend, lost my father-in-law this year.  Hope only the best memories always float to memory for your family.

KE5QMH
    Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.