K4 & KPA1500

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KY3W, Oct 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KM4ZDM

KM4ZDM Ham Member QRZ Page

People really get hung up on the bandscope speed. It's nice feature to see a fast fluid motion (more fps) screen, but it's not everything. My TS-890S is significantly slower than my 7610. I use both radios daily and love them both. During the CQ WW SSB contest I compared both radios against each other. Both radios were affected by strong signals with the 890 winning slightly. Don't think there is a radio available that can handle two or I even heard three signals on top of each other on the same frequency and with zero separation more signals on either side. The one feature on the 890 which made it a delight to use was the ability to move around the band without the signal trails smearing. In fixed mode it's not an issue, but on center mode like on most radios its hard to move to a signal efficiently. The 890S was absolutely amazing in the last RITTY contest. Like shooting fish in a barrel. I am looking forward to the K4 and seeing it in person. It has so many connection options on the back in such a small footprint and will no doubt have good performance. On the cheaper side the 590SG is a wonderful radio and so is the 7300. We are fortunate to have so many amazing options today. Currently looking at the 101D/MP or K4 as a possible third radio. Need to see them in person though to see which I like better. I hope Kenwood comes out with a TS-1000 with two of the 890 receivers.

WW2PT, KV6O and KY3W like this.
  2. KY3W

KY3W Ham Member QRZ Page

FWIW Sherwood said the 890S has the nicest display he's seen.

3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess we’ve reached the point when some buy a radio based on picture quality.

KY3W likes this.
  4. KY3W

KY3W Ham Member QRZ Page

This isn't really that surprising to me. People buy cars because they like the color and never look under the hood. Many hams buy a rig based on its looks and features without researching the rig first. The under the cover issues aren't important. The majority of hams are rag chewers, performance is not an issue for this crowd. I'm fine with that. What disturbs me is I suspect transceiver makers put more emphasis on bells and whistles than actual build quality and performance because that's what sells. I call these "fluff" radios.

N0TZU and WW2PT like this.
  5. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

It’s even more absurd than that. We appear to have reached the point when some declare a radio they’ve never even touched to be a failure months before it hits the market based on a shaky, out-of focus 25 second video of a preproduction unit shot with a smartphone.

K5ABB, N0TZU, KY3W and 2 others like this.
  6. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

That clearly appears to be true here as many of the comments indicate. What we see here is that form over substance has won out transparently described as either the fanciest display or ergonomics which is so subjective as to be meaningless. Unfortunately, as you point out, the manufacturers, with few exceptions, see the market shift toward form and are building radios to appeal more for appearance than function.

7. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

What would you consider to be “bells and whistles?” Honestly curious.

8. KY3W

KY3W Ham Member QRZ Page

At the risk of offending some, I find Yaesu to have the most bells and whistles. Parametric EQ's that are overly complicated, 3D waterfalls, Class A operation, irresponsible CW Rise Time adjustments that cause key clicks, Roofing Filters that are no where near the claimed bandwidth.

Icoms APF's that are only slightly helpful at best and some don't work at all, fancy Dual Loop AGC circuits that can't recover from spikes.

Etc.

WW2PT likes this.
  9. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe some people who have big issues with the speed of the P3 have only used it in center mode, which I don’t like myself. I use it in fixed mode and it’s great. I also have some of the programmable keys set for various spans so I can instantly zoom in or see the whole band.

10. KM4ZDM

KM4ZDM Ham Member QRZ Page

I like the screen on the TS-890S. I like the layout and the color is beautiful on the waterfall. I was referencing the speed of the signals. They appear more choppy due to a lower FPS. My guess would be around 10-15 vs 20-30 on the 7610. I will say I find the 7610 slightly shows more very weak signals on the waterfall. Although REF level can affect this. I can't wait to see some more K4 videos in action.

KY3W likes this.