K2JM is being used by a scammer!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB7NRN, Apr 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KB7NRN

KB7NRN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yesterday I received a series of emails from someone purporting to be K2JM. He uses the email address K2JM@dr.com BEWARE: this is a scammer.

The scammer was trying to sell me a FT-100D, which I've been looking for. He sent three photos of the radio but they didn't quite match. Also, there was the typical sob story of being injured and sick and that a third party was going to handle the shipping and receiving of funds.

I must say it was one of the better scams I've seen but still had all the earmarks of a bad deal. I did a search of K2JM and found the real William M. Briggs and his website & blog. http://wmbriggs.com/blog/?p=5517
    I emailed him and it appears I was the third ham who has contacted him about the scammer. He told me that his QRZ account has been hacked but can't get any help from the admin here. Too bad, he's a heck of a nice guy and this is a real shame.

Also found this yesterday on QTH.com
    al1500 Hi Gang still looking for a clean AL1500. I just got an answer from a k2jm at dr.com pretending to be k2jm, William Briggs. Trust me he is not. I spoke to William and that is not even the correct e-mail address. Be careful who you deal with. Now then.. Still looking for clean fully operational AL 1500 or al800h.Prefer 800h without tubes. USA only !!
    Thanks for reading !!
    Listing #986106 - Submitted on 04/18/12 by Callsign KR5V, Modified on 04/19/12

http://swap.qth.com/c_amphf.php?page=2

So, be careful out there when buying something. I also hope the QRZ admin can help the real K2JM.

John
    KB7NRN

2. K2JM

K2JM Ham Member QRZ Page

This is K2JM---the real one. Fred Llyod has just reset my password so that I am me again.

To reiterate: I have never advertised any equipment for sale. My proper email is matt@wmbriggs.com. The person who was using k2jm@dr.com was a thief.

3. W2NAP

W2NAP Ham Member QRZ Page

you know posting your email addies like you have just leave you open to email harvesters to collect and spam you to death

4. KJ4AQU

KJ4AQU Ham Member QRZ Page

This Fake K2JM almost got me too. But I beat him to the punch and got my money back.

5. KJ4AQU

KJ4AQU Ham Member QRZ Page

This is the latest II have from this person. And he's been texting me as well. Asked him to quit or else!
    I just got back from the hospital and i haven't checked my email since then. I just got on the computer. Have you been able to send the money yet? Please reply

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.