K1N Navassa - countdown begins - madness coming soon to a band near you

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by WB9LUR, Jan 26, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
  1. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Has anyone figured out how to order their QSL card yet? I keep going to clublog but I can't find a link to confirm and pay.

2. WB9LUR

WB9LUR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They have not activated the OQRS on ClubLog yet ... but they will very soon.

3. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ok Thanks....

4. WB9LUR

Just saw this on DX-World.net

"The K1N DXpedition team has only been home a few days, but we are slowly recovering from what was a difficult project. It was over too soon considering that it took 15 years to gain permission, plan and execute the DXpedition. The DX world is very complimentary of our results...140,000 QSOs and over 30,000 uniques. This is especially impressive when you consider that we had only had 14 active operators, 7 HF radios, 5 small amplifiers and only 4 small beams. Many of our QSOs were made barefoot and with dipoles hanging very high on the lighthouse on Navassa. This is what we called a MVC (Minimum Viable Configuration) necessitated by the use of helicopters for primary transport.

We have many to thank. The USFWS for allowing our operation after 22 years off-the-air. The terrific team of USFWS officers and biologists who accompanied us and became part of our team. Our sponsors, both equipment and financial, our team of radio pilots, our helicopter crew of Danilo, Nelson and JC, the staff of Moxon's Beach Club, the staff at Ian Fleming Intl. Airport and our new friends, the Haitian fisherman at Navassa. When we departed, they received gifts from us of gasoline, clean water, clothing, food and other items. Hopefully, this will help them in their difficult and dangerous existence.

Lastly, we want to recognize and thank a group of 1543 DXers. These people heard and responded to our plea for financial support prior to our DXpedition as this when the majority of our considerable expenses occurred. Last night, these special and generous people had their QSOs with K1N uploaded to LoTW (logbook of the world). This service was NOT a condition of their contribution, but comes as a completed surprise.

Thanks to you all for a memorable experience!"

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I don't use LOTW but I am glad to see the K1N team recognize those of us who were able to help out - this is a class act DXpedition team - wonder what they'll do next??? P5???

5. WB9LUR

6. KK4JSJ

KK4JSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

My K1N LoTW confirmation finally hit. So..now it is official.

7. AI6DR

AI6DR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Got mine today

8. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They are still refusing to upload their log to LoTW other than to contributors. Look at how much work it is to cherry pick 1500 calls out of your log and just upload those instead of uploading the full log and being done with it.

9. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's actually a pretty trivial task for anyone reasonably acquainted with the care and feeding of databases.

10. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Not when the goal is to extract money from people.

I will say this here and now and I'd really hope a lot of people agree-I'll pay suitable fees to get a paper QSL, but I will never ever pay for a LOTW or similar confirmation. If that is required, then I don't need the contact in the log, and in fact I probably won't even bother pursuing it. I hope that anyone who is going to into the future states that before they start so I know to not even bother.

This is going to become more and more of a trend if people start paying for confirmations. I understand appropriate money for a paper card, but not to click a few times and send the log to the ARRL or similar to confirm.