K0ES call hijacked

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by N1UXA, Nov 28, 2019.

1. N1UXA

N1UXA Ham Member QRZ Page

I posted a want ad for a Tram D201A and got a response from Gerald Kirshenbaum. The email address of geraldk0es@gmail.com was used. This was an email sent directly to me, not a QRZ PM. Right away I looked up K0ES and saw that there was no email listed for him so I was suspicious right off the bat. I also QRZ PM'd K0ES and asked if it was him that emailed me. In the meantime, while I waited for a response from the PM to the real K0ES, I answered the emails from geraldk0es@gmail.com. Here is a transcript of the email exchange:

His first message was this:

Hi
    I have for sale let me know if you are still looking.

Again, I was immediately suspicious. I have for sale? Bad grammar!

Next I asked, "Yes I am still looking.
    Tell me about what you have and tell me about yourself. They answered:

Microphone socket has been converted to a 4 pin (cobra). Appears to Receive & Transmit great on all channels! Microphone included box and manual Asking $240 ..

Right away I started to have my doubts because they did not say anything about themselves, did not include any pictures and although it does not show here, the type face of their response was different - like they had cut and pasted it.

So then I asked, "Can you send some pictures? This is a D201A correct? 40 channels? What microphone is included?
    Will you accept PayPal? Can I call you on the phone to discuss this?
    They answered:

I don’t use PayPal!!

Right then I knew they were scammers. I answered:
    You haven’t told me anything about you or answered any of my questions except the one about PayPal, nor have you answered my QRZ PM to you.
    Right about now I am staring to think you are not really Gerald Kirshenbaum…………………….

And that was the end of the communications from the scammer.

In the meantime I received a message from the real K0ES who indicated that someone had been using his call sign, masquerading as him, and scamming on QRZ.
    I advised him to add an email address to his QRZ profile which he did.

So in summary BEWARE! geraldk0es@gmail.com is a confirmed scammer and is not the real K0ES!!!!!

KoES's QRZ email is now updated and he goes by Jerry, not Gerald

Hope this helps all here on QRZ.

73, Tom - N1UXA

N0TZU, XE2OR, WD4ELG and 1 other person like this.
  2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Tom, hopefully no one will get scammed.

3. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

It helps a tremendously. It would be good to report the scam attempt to gmail so they can shut down the account and slow the scammer a little. That email appears to track to the Russian group. Great job Tom.
    As a side note, that scammer group must have access to a hijacked QRZ account because the WTB forum is visible only when a user is logged in and that is also how they may be harvesting email addresses.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  4. XE2OR

XE2OR Ham Member QRZ Page

Tom, Many Thanks i Post at QTH.COM looking to Buy an M2-6 M1000, and He, Gerald Kirshenbaum, send Me an eMail Offer an ACOM-1000 For $710 Shipped, same words
    ( I have for sale let me know if you are still interested? ) 73
    when i see that Price I Think this is a Scamme Guy, the Price is Very Low, near $2000.00 Less of the original Price, i Ask To Him to send Some Pics With he's QSL Card On it, but he send Some Pics with aonly He's Call , i send Back an Email asking For an Invoice via Paypal, lets see if he has some Paypal Address, will Post Again, Other Thing, he has a Verified Call Sign, 73's de XE2OR Rafa
    well he come back with Paypal Address now and asking to me to add a screen shot from Payment, Whats do u Think ?

Here is my PayPal address below you can proceed with payment..what is your shipping address?
    carrymeawaytravel@gmail.com
    Kindly get back to me with a screenshot once payment has been sent.
    Thanks,
    He ask To My shipping addres that is on my QRZ.com Page, and when i post at QTH.COM it Notice to my address is in texas and can seeit at QRZ.com

5. XE2OR

One More Thing Before to send payment , Please send me a Pic For Your QSL Card To Know You are Gerald, 73's
    Rafael Ortiz Garza

De: Gerald Kirshenbaum <geraldk0es@gmail.com>
    Enviado: viernes, 29 de noviembre de 2019 05:54 p. m.
    Para: RAFAEL ORTIZ GARZA <xe2or@hotmail.com>
    Asunto: Re: M2-6M-1000 Kilowat Amplifier

Here is my PayPal address below you can proceed with payment..what is your shipping address?
    carrymeawaytravel@gmail.com
    Kindly get back to me with a screenshot once payment has been sent.
    Thanks

On Sat, 30 Nov 2019 at 12:50 AM, RAFAEL ORTIZ GARZA <xe2or@hotmail.com> wrote:
    Thanks, Plewase send Invoice To my Paypal Address > xe2or@yahoo.com
    73's
    Rafael Ortiz Garza

Enviado: viernes, 29 de noviembre de 2019 08:49 a. m.
    Para: RAFAEL ORTIZ GARZA <xe2or@hotmail.com>
    Asunto: Re: M2-6M-1000 Kilowat Amplifier

Asking $710 shipped.
    Pictures for your view.
    upload_2019-11-29_18-51-26.png

On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 at 3:31 PM, RAFAEL ORTIZ GARZA <xe2or@hotmail.com> wrote:
    Hello , Yes Still Interested, Do You Have a Call ? what call u have? pse send some Picks With Your QSL Card, and Price shipped to 78852 !!
    Rafael Ortiz Garza

Enviado: martes, 26 de noviembre de 2019 06:28 a. m.
    Para: xe2or@hotmail.com <xe2or@hotmail.com>
    Asunto: M2-6M-1000 Kilowat Amplifier

I have for sale let me know if you are still interested??

6. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

"carrymeawaytravel" == carry your money away :eek:

7. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The callsign in the photo is obviously added digitally, they even accidentally left the "text" placeholder in the middle of the photo! Also, the top and bottom of the photo has been blacked out.

8. N1UXA

N1UXA Ham Member QRZ Page

This guy, (whoever he is), apparently needs to "hone" his skills a little more before taking our money...……….and that will be never!

Rafael - XE2OR, I am glad I could help you avoid this scammer! It sounds like you were immediately suspicious as well.

Does anyone know hos to alert Gmail to this guy making up new email address used specifically for theft? I will do it if somebody can tell me how.

XE2OR likes this.
  9. XE2OR

First Thing alert Me was the Low Price on The Amp, Then i look at Google looking For Photos, Same as Describen at email, i did not find any , Then he did not add a QSL Card at Pics, Then i look at This page and See your Post, Very Low price alert, I'm Not a New Ham, more than 30 years with my License ,when i send last Mail asking for a qsl Pic, he quit, 73's to all and Many Thanks,
    One more thing, Watching a few days ago at Swapmeet , one buyer ask a seller for a QSL Pic, and he answer not needit as he is Verified, i Think need to add a QSL Pic at all For sale !!

10. VE3ZYR

VE3ZYR Ham Member QRZ Page

N0TZU and XE2OR like this.