ad: ProAudio-1

Just Wondering

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD2RON, Aug 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KD2RON

KD2RON Ham Member QRZ Page

I am on 40M cw early AM regularly and like to listen to faster cw to improve my speed as a skcc . What I wonder is those I here around 7025 that are going well over 35 wpm actually able to read that or is it computer generated and read.

PU2OZT likes this.
  2. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, there are operators that are perfectly comfortable at those speeds. But it is common for a operator to use a computer for sending, but copy by ear.

If you want to know if its computer generated, just use some software that can copy CW. Software like Fldigi, HRD, etc.. If you see the decode to be perfect, with the usual abbreviations missing, it's probably computer generated.

I lived in Germany for a few years (1980-1984) and operated as DA2EU. A friend of mine that lived near by, DA2LD, used CW to talk to his son almost every day. His son lived in the state of Washington. He used a piece of hardware that, IIRC, was called a "Robot". I don't remember the details any more. Maybe someone else could elaborate. This was before we had all this nifty software to handle things. At that same time, I used my Commodore 64 for CW. I used a program that I copied/modified from 73 Magazine. I still have the interface hanging around some where, but the C64 is gone.

Computerized CW operation between hams has been going on for a very long time.

3. K5TSK

K5TSK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

True enough the really fast are probably using a keyboard of some kind, but listen around and copy. You may be fortunate enough to hear and work a few ops who can do a 30-35 wpm bug, a 40-45 wpm paddle (or faster and usually single lever), and you will catch mistakes that tip you off that is what they use.
    In no way am I asserting that I could do that, but I have head copied many QSOs and then tail ended at a lower speed. Most of those quality ops will slow down and meet you for a few minutes. All I could do is stand in awe at some of the ops I heard and still SWL.
    Sadly, it's getting harder and harder to find the really fast ones. Spend a lot of time listening and marvel like I did.

4. KA3CTQ

KA3CTQ Ham Member QRZ Page

A local gentleman who I know was a radio operator in the merchant marines. He could comfortably send 40+ on a straight key. Get him on a bug and there was no keeping up with him.

He is SK and I have his straight key. No way can I do justice to what he has does with this key.

KD2RDG likes this.
  5. KD2RDG

KD2RDG Ham Member QRZ Page

I suspect a lot of it is computers talking to computers, especially on contest days.

At any rate don't let it bother you. Most of the very speedy ops put in hundreds of hours to get there. But it's diminishing returns as you go faster. 20 wpm is totally achievable with a year or two of casual qsos.

6. N0NC

N0NC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was exposed to some very speedy morse operators while stationed in the Indian Ocean (BIOT). When you stop a think how many hundreds of hours commerical morse code operators put in over the course of their careers, it is no wonder they're so fast.

The way to develop accuracy and speed is time. Though at my age, I don't think I have enough time left to ever become a speed demon.

I don't doubt that the high speed ops are using keyboards, however most decoding devices (software) fall on there face in noisy, crowded, conditons on the bands.

Carmen @K1LKP is an example of a QRO operator. Ask him.
    He also has an interesting QRZ page.

73, Chuck
    N0NC

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    WA1GXC and K1LKP like this.
  7. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

HI RON,

I AM HAPPY TO READ THAT YOU HAVE JOINED THE
    RANKS OF BEING A BLASTER OF BRASS.....BRAVO....

CONGRATS ON UR SKCC MEMBERSHIP.
    MY SKCC NUMBER IS 5389

HERE IS AN INTERESTING GROUP THAT
    I LIKE TO HAVE FUN WITH ON SUNDAY EVENINGS.

http://www.k1usn.com/sst.html

HAVE LOTS OF FB FUN AS YOU LISTEN TO
    FASTER CW TO IMPROVE YOUR SKILL.

73 ES HAVE A FUN FILLED WEEKEND.

LIKE I LUV CW & CFO new.jpg

@N0NC

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I find KB senders use punctuation that key ops would almost never use. When I hear someone sending periods and commas and stuff in places I'd never send any, and spelling out words that don't need to be spelled out...it's likely a keyboard.

9. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

CW Speed Freaks ?
    When I was a teen and in my early twenties I could copy 40 WPM on paper and send it with a Bug! This was from my high school years and to the time I got my draft notice.
    Now , decades later and after 15 years of mostly doing SKCC QSOs and helping out new CW ops on the air my speed has dropped. I usually don't get above 15 WPM.
    Now and then I run into one of my old buddies and chat at 20-25 WPM but Only take notes and do not paper copy much of it.
    It is possible that old timers chatting on 40 m can be using bugs just for fun.
    Using computers for CW sounds too much like business and not amateur.(let me send you a text or E-mail for that quote and contract)

10. K5TSK

K5TSK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Reading a couple of your posts this AM. Checked the log and we have worked 80,60,40 and 30. Fine fist John. But as one who early in life admired the skill that others like you possess, I listened a lot and tried my best this last time around to head copy all I found on the air. Could copy most, not all. I thank the Lord for those guys I used to hear, just ragchewing, and sometimes changing from a keyboard to a paddle to a bug (at QRQ) and not missing a beat. It's the exuberance of an artist performing at his/her best and it's fun just to hear those folks doing something besides contest stuff. Severely limited now on what I can do, but I wish I heard more of those guys. I'll be listening for your fine fist.

KD2RON likes this.