ad: MyWorld-1

Just when I thought I would never post another question

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KM6CND, Dec 8, 2018 at 9:08 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KM6CND

KM6CND Ham Member QRZ Page

Good day all.

There are several previous posts about my 3-500zg amp. Without the help I get here from you folks, I would have gave up long ago. Every problem solved is a lesson learned.

This photo is the way the meters look like with HV on. The cathode and plate needles are on zero, as expected until I key up. That little chaplet reminds me of how deadly she can be if I am not careful around her.
    [​IMG]
    This photo is our baseline.

The next photo is where the problem started. The Home Brew inductor/resistor between the tube and choke smoked one evening. I purchased the equivalent part from MFJ.

You can now see the new install, and a problem in the upper left corner.
    [​IMG]
    When I disconnected the coax on the outside of the case, the relay slipped off the saddle!

Now for the problem. I installed the new part and fired up the amp full. The Plate meter was steady at 20. That is NOT normal.

Could this damaged relay cause the amp to believe it's in TX mode? Something is stuck! I can go to CW with the dummy load and play "CW" working those relays, hoping to "unstick" whatever is stuck:mad:

Any ideas are welcome.

Jeff
    Surf City USA
    Huntington Beach CA

2. KM6CND

And I found the push rod inside the relay to be out of place. Put it back together with the inspection caps off, this relay reacts the same as the other one.

The Plate meter now hovers @ 15...

So much for thinking I was good to go.:(

3. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Jeff,
    Give John Klewer N6AX a call he is in Placentia.
    Run it up to his house and have him take a look at it. I have his phone number if you need it.

73, Lisa

4. KM6CND

Thanks Lisa

My email is on my QRZ page.

5. KM6CND

I sure don't know what happened to my images... I don't see them, perhaps a premature Senior Moment?

6. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like someone removed your image, I will send you a PM with Johns #.