Just thinking about my next mobile antenna (vhf uhf)

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by NE3R, Oct 17, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. NE3R

NE3R Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a new vehicle that I wasn't expecting to have to buy and I've really been having trouble deciding what I should do for an antenna. I know this much, it'll be on an NMO mount on the roof.

Part of me just wants to go with a 19" whip, as my 70cm use is light to none.
    The Larsen NMO 2/70SH is a 19" made for dual band, with a nice little oops spring, with slightly degraded performance on 2m over a standard 1/4 wave, but I'm not sure I could measure it.

The 19" antennas put me at 7' 3.1"

The Diamond NR72BNMO is a shortened dual band at 13.8" putting my overall height under 7' which is nice, but a 2 meter antenna under 19", I don't know about that.

I mean, if I'm going to break 7 feet with a 19" antenna, why not a full size dual bander like the Larsen NMO 2/70B at 33.5' for a total overall height just under 8' 6"

I'm thinking that a trip around the places I go and get some average garage height measurements. If most would require an antenna removal anyway, why not just go with the larger antenna, but if I could get into them at 7' 3.1" that'd be the way to go.

Everything is a compromise.

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Use a hood seam mount, and you be able to drive is into a standard garage. Performance wise, you'll never notice the difference.

NE3R likes this.
  3. NE3R

NE3R Ham Member QRZ Page

I just can't imagine anything other than a mount in the center of the roof. Once I bought a car with a sunroof and I was never happy with that trunk mount.

There is no doubt that permenant mount on the roof is the best, but it is hard to argue the subject with K0BG, thats for sure.

My garage scouting hasn't found many that have enough clearance for even the diamond. It isn't that I currently park in garages often, but I'm going to have this vehicle for a long time and things change.

4. KV4JW

KV4JW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a cheap "Tram" brand VHF/UHF NMO antenna I picked up on eBay. I've been happy with it's performance thusfar. It's basic, but does what it's supposed to do, and for what I paid for it - can't complain.

NE3R likes this.
  5. NE3R

NE3R Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm more worried about it lasting 10-15 years than I am about cost. If not for K0BG's comments, I think I would have settled on the Larsen NMO 2/70SH at this point. I scoped out several parking garages, and had friends and family report on others in my area, and, I found out, that the vast majority will require me to remove even the shortest antenna.

But now I have to measure the height of my hood to see if a 1/2 wave style antenna like the Larsen NMO 2/70B will fit into the garages.

I know, some folks are willing to go with whatever, change it around from time to time, but I'm more comfortable with making a decision and sticking with it.

6. N4LBL

N4LBL Ham Member QRZ Page

I seldom have a garage clearance problem, but I mounted my antenna nearer to the driver's side for those times when I wanted to remove the antenna quickly. It isn't necessary to be symmetrical.

7. N8EKT

N8EKT Ham Member QRZ Page

It 's hard to beat the durability and performance of a chrome dome 1\4 wave whip in the center of the roof for 2 meters but suffers a bit on 440.
    The Comet B10 NMO is only 12 inches high and has excellent 440 performance while 2 meters is a little less than that of a 19" whip.
    However, both the Diamond NR72 or Comet B10 will open up your roof like a can opener if you hit something low.

8. KM6LYW

KM6LYW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the same questions (using 19" magmount on roof now). Anyone consider mounting the 33" larson on the back corner of a pickup? part of me wonders about exposure with hood mounts.

9. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page