Just purchased a henry 2k2 1967 vintage

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KE4AMQ, Mar 14, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
  1. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Henry really screwed up on this whole line of amps. They want you to supply a 4 wire 240/120 feed to the amp. Most hams who have a newer amp and adding these older amps do NOT have a 4 wire 240/120 feed to their amplifier outlet. Most hams have only a 3 wire feed. TWO hots and a ground. You should disregard what Henry asks you to do because they are wrong. The proper way to run these amps on a 3 wire dedicated 240v feed is to simply take a jumper and connect the #2 on the schematic above to the jumper at 3 and 4. Then you will now have 2,3,4 all connected together. Then feed the two hots of the 240v to 1 and 5. MAKE SURE THE GREEN (GROUND) ON THE RECEPACLE GOES TO THE CHASSIS OF THE AMP VIA THE AMP LINE CORD. The schematic above shows no ground but just make sure the green wire from amplifier cord is chassis grounded.

K2XT likes this.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

^Yep. We had to learn to "just deal with it.":p

AC0OB likes this.
  3. KE4AMQ

KE4AMQ Ham Member QRZ Page

ok I found another hv wire that was cracked and not making contact properly I replaced that the amp is semi working now except for I cant drive it with moke then 5 to 10 watts or it goes into reset mode

4. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have removed the Valves, and it's not a fault within the PSU, your HT short could be that the RF De-coupling capacitor (before the RF Choke) has gone short circuit . . . or even the Output coupling capacitor.

These are presumably high-quality doorknob capacitors . . . but they CAN still fail.

Roger G3YRO

5. KE4AMQ

KE4AMQ Ham Member QRZ Page

lou the amp is staying on now but I could only drive it with low power anything more then 7 watts it goes into reset status

6. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of those amps have a plate overload relay. Dumb, dumb, dumb, it could fault and cause problems with tripping. I’d remove or bypass it.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The 2K-2 does indeed have a HV overload relay circuit.

8. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, the 2K has an overload relay there for a purpose and it is not dumb.

It's a protection circuit, a latching relay circuit reset by a front panel push button in most cases.

You have a partial short somewhere, or someone has messed with the slider on the 7.5 ohm, 25 resistor that sets the overcurrent limit.

Also check and see if that 50 ohm 25 resistor to ground is really 50 ohms. You never know what was modified prior to your owning it.

Pheel

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  9. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

10. W2VW

W2VW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

AC0OB likes this.