Just ordered a 857d and need suggestions...

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KF2Q, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KI4KGU

KI4KGU Ham Member QRZ Page

I got the FT 857D and a Buddypole antenna kit....several different sizes of 12V GEL batteries ( wheel scooter ) and a little MFJ tuner if needed...all is well, you are ready to make contact with the world, HiHi...Had my 857 loose mounted/quick mount... in the JEEP Wrangler....soooo much fun !!! Never used any software or cable///

KI4KGU

2. W7HBP

W7HBP QRZ Lifetime Member #83 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have the 857D I use for my bug out box and field day. I did upgrade and got the Yaesu DTMF mic, I also got the LDG tuner made just for it, the YT-100, great addition. It doesnt use a power cable, just the smaller mini din cable that plugs to the radio and tuner. When you hit the tune button, it automatically backs the radios power down to 10 watts and switches over to AM. And it learns as you go, so next time in that same band area, its ultra quick.

Greaty radio, 6-160 meters (includes the new 60 meters) and 2/70cm to boot.

3. KG7OOM

KG7OOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Could you elaborate as to what do you mean about protecting it? Do I take it out of the truck? Cover it with a towel so the sun does not hit the display? Is it high temperatures that ruin the display? I am about to buy this unit and this is the first I've hear of it. Thanks!

4. WN6F

WN6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Great radio but the OOBE, (out-of-box-experience) with the receive audio almost made me cry. No problem, it was just wide open.

Once I enabled [DBF] AND set my LPF and HPF rx audio filters to emulate something around 3-3K audio, I was a happy camper.

5. KD0SGX

KD0SGX Ham Member QRZ Page

I did not read all 3 pages of this post but the best thing you can get for a FT-857D or 817 is a laminated single Sheet Manual!!! The menus are so deep, you need to have one on hand. If I remember correctly I got one off ebay.

6. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

The other reason to get the upgraded mike with controls on it? Better Audio.

The "stock" mic the radio comes with is pretty soft.

If you get the upgraded one, you will have to back the gain WAY down. Default is 50 I believe for both sides of the radio. Once I got the new microphone (I use it at home, but still) I had to turn them both down to 15.

But with the stock mic I have heard people running the gain way up to get any audio out of it-85 or even all the way up to 100. I used to run it at 75 and was told I was kind of soft.

If you do a search online about it you'll see a lot of posts on it.

I haven't had any display issues but I don't take it portable. I run it and a dual band ft8800 at home off of a 100AH battery. I've ran it during a few power outages and never ran the battery too far down, though I do eventually want to get another 100AH just to have more capacity. The voltage does start to drop a bit after you use it without the float charger on it for a few hours.

Wouldn't hurt to cover it up when you're not using it to save the face on it, though. I do that anyway with my radios when I park the car (8800 in the car too) so its not too hard of a habit to get into.

I love the heck out of mine though. Love it even more now that I upgraded to General and have it on HF. I mainly got it as a tech to have access to 6m/2m SSB, which it preforms really well on as well.

But if you're using the stock microphone, you'll probably want to adjust the mic gain setting for sure. If you get the other mic, turn it way down :)

7. NATALIEAGAIN

NATALIEAGAIN QRZ Member

I used 1 month for 857,not bad,jut be careful of using he cover.

8. KD0ETC

KD0ETC Ham Member QRZ Page

The FT-857d has worked well for me doing backpack portable paired with the LDG yt-100. But forget the memory capability of the tuner since each setup is different so you will be doing full tune each setup. I tried the LDG Pro II out portable but it is too complicated for portable in the bush.
    I early on found SLA batteries were too heavy to pack and would not supply the amps needed for 100 watts. Eventually I bought NiMH batteries, 4 packs of Zoomba vacuum replacement packs, $35 each. Wired in parallel these allow full power operation on SSB for about 2 to 3 hours. Working mostly 20 meters, antennas vary depending on where I hike: a center loaded vertical, end-fed coax dipole, longwire. Portable kit weights about 30 pounds including lunch and water. Great exercise and HF fun, I even tried it Pedestrian Mobile, but that was too hard. I prefer a hike then sit under a tree for a couple of hours having long QSOs. Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  9. K7FYI

K7FYI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Care to share more about your batteries / charging system? That interests me - I too have an 857D.

10. KD8ZWI

KD8ZWI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

++1 !! Awesome! Perhaps check out the FP-30B for when you are near AC power. I too am intereted in battery operations, if more people could comment on the specific batteries, charge times, run times and weight it would be appreciated...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.