Just ordered a 857d and need suggestions...

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KF2Q, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KF2Q

KF2Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting you mention moving it from vehicle to vehicle. I intend to move it lot, from my truck to my car to my RV to the picnic bench to my office. It is right now sitting next to me with an OPEK HVT-600 stuck on its butt, and North Dakota coming in loud (I'm in California). And it occurs to me that manufacturers might be missing something by not having docking stations for certain radios like this one. A cage that you slip the unit into without any wires, because the cage already has been wired. That would really facilitate moving the radio so much. About three hundred years ago in the CB era we had such, although the intent was theft protection. But it made it very easy to slide the radio in and out of the car without wires.

Likin' my new radio! Oh by the way, when I get a new radio I run it through all the modes and functions to see if I might have a warranty issue. So I took the new 857 and hooked it up alongside my Kenwood 590, switching antennas back and forth. The little Yaesu did well! Obviously not the radio the 590 is but it had good performance and no issues. I'm happy with my purchase, and wish I had done this a year ago instead of wasting my time with a KX3.

2. WD0MYM

WD0MYM Ham Member QRZ Page

The first thing I would do is mark the top of the radio above the antenna connections. I bought some cheap letter stickers and put a "V" and "H" which V is for VHF and H is for HF. Or anything to let you know which is which. You might be setting the rig up at the end of a long day or in the dark. Whenever I am connecting coax to the radio I am always looking down on top of the radio from the front.

It's been a while since I had the faceplate off...if I remember correctly it looked like it would be possible to break off the tabs & mess it up to where the faceplate won't go on properly. Didn't seem to heavy duty to me. Might have been the way the faceplate locked on...can't remember offhand. Just be careful when removing or installing them together.

Great rig...mine has been on many picnic tables from SD to islands in the Gulf. You'll have fun!

I would skip the separation kit and the fancy mic unless you really need it for the truck. Moving the radio around lots will get old if you have to deal with all the cables. Just creates extra things to do when moving it around. Ya might like it though!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  3. AJ9D

AJ9D Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had my 857 since 8-13 and I love it. I bought it off QRZ with all the bells and whistles. As for tuners I run a LDG yt-100 and it does a great job. The radio sits on it and you can use it in the mobile. As for a battery..... you will need a pretty good sized one, the rig will pull over 15 amps @ full power...... Have FUN......

AJ9D

4. OE3MCS

OE3MCS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I also have an FT-857D using it with an 12V 24Ah Battery, which gives me power for a day or an afternoon running full power 100 Watts. Using it in the car with the seperation Kit and an ATAS 120A Antenna on a triple magnetic antenna mount. I connected the Mag mount also with a cable with the vehicle chassis.Tunes up an everything between 40m and 70cm band! very easy to use and makes the band change very easy! With the seperation-kit you can stow the radio under the driver seat..
    But you can also make a seperation ki yourself with some wires and connectors!
    Worked VK and ZL and Staateside westcoast from Europe!
    you can see some pics on my qrz site... http://www.qrz.com/db/OE3MCS
    AutoInnen.jpg

5. K5UNX

K5UNX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have an 857D and it's my only HF rig. I am putting it in a "go box" type setup for home, field day, park, etc use. For accessories I got a Z11-ProII Tuner, the SignalLink USB interface for digital modes. For antennas I made home made versions of the buddipole and buddistick. I am going to make this end-fed antenna as well. Also have plans for a full size 80 dipole of some sort at the house eventually as well. I really like the 857D, nice rig!

6. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is the ULTIMATE GO KIT in use during our Operating Day at Frys last Saturday
    [​IMG]

Has a FT-857D, MFJ Tuner, Power supply and DIgital interface built in. Will run off of AC shore power or a gel cel. Works great, runs all modes and VHF/UHF too if needed

7. KB0TT

KB0TT Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that Sue on the left ?

8. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes it is! She is Secretary of our Club! and Newsletter Editor!

9. N7IBC

N7IBC Ham Member QRZ Page

I am on my 2nd FT-857D, and have it mounted in my F-250. I have the radio body in a Tac Comm hard case, and the control head mounted separately. I use a little LDG 100 watt tuner and the antenna is a Hi-Q vertical, mounted Aussie fashion to the right side front tow hook. It works very, very well.

The entire console can be removed and setup on a table, in a motel room, etc in about 5 minutes from the truck. It has two, high security locks to keep the less-than-stellar people from removing it.

My actual portable rig is Yaesu FT-897D in a pelican case with the rig, the LDG tuner, a Samlex power supply, and an HF dipole all in the box. Not really a go-box type thing, but a quick setup type station.
    I also have a roll-up 2/440 antenna in there as well.

10. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member QRZ Page

I've used a '857 a lot as a mobile rig and it always worked just fine. It wasn't fussy about anything at all....just worked great all the time.

I mounted the control head on a windshield/dash suction cup mount and used the Yaesu remote control mic. That way, the display was a LOT closer to what a driver has to pay attention to and it's easy to take down when desired. Console mounting is for those who also text while driving. Why put what you need to see that far from the windshield (unless you don't operate "mobile in motion") when you can put it in a much safer position? I've also wondered about mounting the head on the visor but haven't tried anything yet. That would keep it out of the sun and satisfy the laws in those states where windshield mounts are illegal. The remote control mic puts all the controls you need in the palm of your hand so there's no need whatsoever to ever reach up and fiddle with the control head. Another big safety advantage.

I plugged the speaker/headphone output into the car stereo system, and that works, IMHO, MUCH, MUCH better the messin' around with another kind of speaker that ya gotta buy and then mount. Since doing this is easy, quick, and cheap, it's worth trying before you spring for an external speaker. But if your car radio has an EQ, you can probably simulate the yellowy sound of a mobile speaker if you want. I never had to...the sound was always clear, intelligible and copiously loud.

My particular car was very quiet, noise-wise, so even without the NB, it was fine. It sounds like the NB is effective, tho.

If you don't have it yet, I'd hesitate to recommend the SSB Collins filter. I've got it, but I can't hear much difference in the audio at all. On a strong signal I can discern the difference that one would expect, but it's not a big difference at all. I'd say save your money unless, like me, you LOVE Collins stuff enough to get that name. But it won't make the rig sound like S-Line (like I had hoped).

OTOH, the CW filter is required for any CW work.

With that radio I could always check into the service nets on 40 and always had a decent signal. That's even with an antenna that some believe "gets out like a dummy load." Well, I guess dummy loads get out really, really well, based on the performance of my '857 using hamsticks. Worked lots and lotsof DX on 20, even when there were no sunspots. Even worked Europe on 40. No, you won't beat pile-ups or rule the band, but you'll have a whale of a lot of fun.

A cable and software for programming the radio would be highly recommended. It makes programming repeater channels MUCH easier than messing with the menus on the radio. I just got one of those kits for an '817 - the Yaesu accessory and it worked just fine.

If you didn't get one yet, the FT-Meter from LDG is a wonderful accessory. It's a lot more fun than the tiny, uncalibrated meter in the display and it's calibrated. Installation can be tricky - pllugging in the 1/8" plug into the bottom of the control head can be tedious if your shaky from, say, the DT's! Kiddin - just plug it in an you're good to go.

Enjoy that radio!!!!! I've had a GREAT time using mine.

[edit] Forgot to mention power. I used the supplied cable to get juice from the battery. It was just fine. The only comment would be that, IIRC, it's got fuses in both wires. So...if you're a believer in "no fuse in the ground lead" you'll have to either:

1) Best - parallel the two wires for +12v, and get your ground from the chassis near the radio.

2) Jumper the fuse in the negative lead.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.