Just Got Scammed by someone posing as K4RIQ

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KF7EUP, Oct 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KF7EUP

KF7EUP Ham Member QRZ Page

All Be on the lookout I received an email from someone posing as K4RIQ offering up a DR1-x for a good price. I didn't do my research and went ahead and sent money via PayPal to the email provided. I then felt odd about the fact that i sent the money to an email that wasn't verified by PayPal and did a google image search for some of the pictures in the email that i was sent. They Linked back to this post from 2017

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/yaesu-fusion-dr-1x-repeater.577591/

Same Exact Body message with a different price and all the pictures less the ones that have call signs in them.

I feel pretty dumb and now i am going to have to fight paypal. Only potentially saving grace is that i used my VISA CC to pay through paypal so hopefully if paypal doesn't play ball then i can work with VISA to get it fixed.

Just a heads up for those that care. Also if anyone knows how to get ahold of the Real K4RIQ I would appreciate it. I feel badly that someone is posing as them duping people.

Also Just an FYI this didn't happen on QRZ but my investigation lead me here so I figured that it would be important to post here.

Thanks!

W9ANW likes this.
  2. KA2CDT

KA2CDT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Those unsolicited emails will get you every time. If you payed with PayPal goods and services you should be fine. If you used the threaded best friend of the scammers friend/family then there will be nothing you can do via PayPal.

KD8DEY likes this.
  3. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

KF7EUP likes this.
  4. WB7OXP

WB7OXP Ham Member Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

hello

there has been a report of someone using the call k4riq and MANY different names and emails responding with items for sale to people who have commented on items for sale on the swap. this is NOT really qrz related, it is happening off other sites too, so be careful if you get an unexpected "i have one" email

fwiw, comments are NOT permitted on the qrz swap, some of the reporting parties are the self appointed qrz helpers who think they need to harass every poster. so, if you are not involved in the transaction, or interested in the item, refrain from posting AT ALL

same people are also harassing legitimate sellers via email. LEAVE THE SELLERS ALONE. you are NOT helping

KF7EUP likes this.
  5. K7CCL

K7CCL Ham Member QRZ Page

they need to stop the "friends and family" PayPal option all together since the scammers use that as their go to method..

KF7EUP and KA2FIR like this.
  6. KF7EUP

7. KF7EUP

So the thing that got me was the pictures. I fully understand why QRZ asks that the call sign be in the pictures. I would have spotted and asked many more questions had i seen a Call sign in a picture that didn't match the individual that i was speaking with. I Searched QRZ and ULS for Contact info other than mailing address with no luck. The email i sent the money too is themiladeyopaleke@gmail.com. It wasn't until i saw the name associated to the email that i fully felt like something was wrong.

Here is the contents of the email minus the pictures:

he signed it with the correct call and it was believable .. but as you can see its an identical copy of the original post referenced above minus the $ and the signature.

8. K4RIQ

K4RIQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Good morning to all -

I just became aware of this situation this morning. No, I do not have any ham gear for sale on ANY site at this time. I have updated my bio with an alert indicating this. If that situation changes, I will update the note in the bio accordingly. Until then, no ham gear for sale at all, anywhere. Also note that the gmail address referenced above with my call sign is NOT mine.

Rick
    K4RIQ

KF7EUP and KA2FIR like this.
  9. KF7EUP

Rick -

Thank you for reaching out. I am glad that you have been made aware that there is someone masquerading as you. Hope that I can help to catch the guy that did this so that more people like me don't get duped.

10. WR1O

WR1O Ham Member QRZ Page

Just to be clear, you did NOT get scammed, if you paid with PayPal you are protected, that is why we use it. If you paid with friends and family that is fraud and you scammed yourself. Sorry to sound harsh but this is the sad reality. How did you pay?