ad: wmr-1

Just finished my Pixie 2 transceiver (pics)

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by VK2ZYZ, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I was going to use a LM-386 in my last project, but the Junk store didn't have one. SO I went to FRYS and found an audio chip it had for a replacement in a car radio. I found the circuit to it on the Internet and wired it up. Much more power than the LM-386 and great audio quality. I put in 2 large speakers for it to drive and ran the input from my PDA audio out to listen to music! So if it makes a great IPOD Boom box, it ought to make a good Ham Transceiver audio system too. Of course, I am going to have a back panel input to select external audio for use when I need to listen to music.

2. KC4UMO

KC4UMO Ham Member QRZ Page

I am very low on toroids. I do have the vintage vcr's I like to take apart and discard. Maybe I will get lucky. I used to work for Curtis Mathis years ago. Before they went to NEC their stuff was good quality. I would get off on saturday noon and take the desoldering unit home. My oldest daughter at the time was around 10 or 11. She spend rest of the week end desoldering parts from old TV's, vcr's and radios, ect. I used to have buckets of the stuff. BUt moving around, and giving stuff away depleted most of it over the past 15 years or so. But with that stuff and radio shack you could build about anything you could think of......Sure miss them days.

Great swap out eh.

3. W8NSI

W8NSI Ham Member QRZ Page

4. KB1KIX

KB1KIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Man... that thing is ugly!

And I mean that in the kewlest way.

Nice ugly construction OM.

I'm still trying to get it right on smaller projects. I usually end up feeling like I do when I try to unravel the 160M dipole on field day!

I'm working on the RockMite now and then the DC40A from Hendricks. I have the kits, just need to get them together.

Jonathan

5. KE7AQL

KE7AQL Ham Member QRZ Page

Made my own

Well this post inspired me to make one of my own.
    I used ugly construction as well on a tiny 1.5x1.5 inch piece of scrap pcb.

I got it working but while I was doing some testing, it stopped transmitting, and would only make a fast clicking sound into my headphones. I reached in and felt the final transistor(2n2222), and it was very hot.:(

So I'm assuming that I just blew the transistor; Anyone have any idea why...I was powering it from my 13.8v power supply, was this too much?

6. AB8RO

AB8RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably. Use a 9v battery to test with. If you are going to use an external supply put your dmm in series with it and monitor the current consumption so you know if you are exceeding the transistor's ratings. The little metal can 2n2222s can take a bit more than the plastic cased ones. Even better is to have one of those cute little heat sinks that snap on.

7. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have also done that using a Dremel and a small broken drill bit. With a little practise you can make some very elaborate patterns.

8. WA9CWX

WA9CWX Ham Member QRZ Page

VERY nice homebrew project Charley !
    Congrats. :)

Frank

9. AK7V

AK7V Ham Member QRZ Page

Great looking rig!

Have any of you played around with W8DIZ's "RF Toolkits?" Here's a link:
    http://kitsandparts.com/rftoolkits.php

I believe the concept is the same as the old MultiPIG QRP radio. You build individual blocks -- filter, amplifiers, mixer, oscillator, etc. etc. and connect them together however you want to make a rig. The price is reasonable and if you're new to homebrewing and don't have a big junk box, this might be a good way to go.

He refers to it, aptly, as a "QRP erector set."

10. AB8RO

AB8RO Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't but they remind me of some similar kits that were advertised in QST years ago from, I think, a crystal manufacturer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.