ad: dxeng

JUST A REMINDER..

Discussion in 'Ham to Ham References' started by N6TCO, Oct 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. N6TCO

N6TCO Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently purchased a FT-1000MP MarkV radio here on QRZ which appeared like brand new. Fired it up and it worked fine. I sent the radio to a well know tech Byron - WA4GEG (Electronic Equipment Service hamradiobug.com) for some mods and a tune up. Received an email today with the attached photos. So a small project has now escalated into several hundred additional dollars.

I won't list the hams Call I purchased this from it won't achieve anything since he has not responded to my emails . This is just a reminder that the exterior, even the performance of a rig doesn't mean there is nothing wrong. Left as it is this rig would have eventually fatally failed had any of that rust flaked off.

Maybe Ebay isn't that bad after all with their buyer coverage.

n6tcoMarkVa.jpg
    n6tcoMarkVb.jpg

2. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Wow, bummer.

I have a question though, how would the seller know the inside looked like that?

I have flipped a lot of estate stuff this year, the only items I opened up were two FT-101 radios, that you can open the top easy to look inside,
    and a few tube amps, to see what tubes were inside. One of the FL-2100B amps I was selling was very dusty inside, but I did not see rust like that.

AB4RW likes this.
  3. EI5HIB

EI5HIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Unfortunately its the risk with buying second hand, but this is a world wide problem and often the seller doesn't know either in most cases, I was lucky when it happened to me that the seller refunded my money and was genuinely embarrassed. I actually felt sorry for him.

4. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

True. And how many hams open their gear today unless it is designed to accept user-added accessories - filters, etc?

And it isn't FRAUD, until the seller KNOWINGLY MAKES A FALSE STATEMENT and you act upon that statement to your detriment.

When hams by used gear, maybe they should do what they ask on Peoples Court & Hot Bench in cases involving used car sales: "DID YOU TAKE IT TO A MECHANIC AND HAVE IT INSPECTED"?

Of course, knowing the nature of hams, they'd end up claiming that the tech blew the inspection.

N9LCD