Just a little PSK/Digital Help

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W9UND, Feb 10, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. W9UND

W9UND Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been trying without ANY success just to "see" some PSK transmissions. I have my Yaesu (FT991) hooked into my computer. Because I'm seeing the signals, I'm assuming I have my com port set up correctly.

I have attached a screenshot from Digipan to show what I'm seeing. I ALWAYS get nothing but gobbledygook no matter what I do. I've tried switching modes. I've tried playing with the levels of the input....I just can't figure it out. I tried going step-by-step through the AARL digital book on how to set everything up, but just no success.

I'm just wondering if someone can just give a suggestion on what I should try. Am I not setting a filter correctly? I keep switching between upper/lower data modes and everything else. But, all I ever see is the same gobbledygook! I know so many things can be to blame, but I was just looking for some other suggestions. Thanks!

KD9BDT

Attached Files:

2. NE3R

NE3R Ham Member QRZ Page

not a lot to go on here.
    1, are you sure your computer microphone isn't picking up audio from your radio? It is a common mistake to configure the radio's input to the computer mic instead of the correct audio device.
    2, what frequency is your radio tuned to (you'll see plenty of signal on an FT8 frequency, but digipan won't decode it)
    3, is your radio set to a data mode?

3. W9UND

Thanks. I'm going to play with the computer settings a bit more. I have tried all the digital modes. You're seeing 20m here.

4. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you using the USB cable for the Audio connection?
    SCU-17 drivers installed..
    Mode on the radio set to Digital-USB...
    checked the program source preferences in the windows sound settings advanced menu...

5. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

The pic provided doesn’t look like a psk signal.

6. KI5WW

Select mode then psk 31. Tune to 14.070 usb.

7. KI5WW

May not be any activity at the moment.

8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you get to 7070 USB (not LSB) and look for a signal that looks something like a railroad track on the waterfall? That's the best I can do to help you ID a PSK signal.

9. KI5WW

upload_2021-2-10_15-6-44.jpeg

This is what psk looks like on a busy day. And this is using digipan.

10. W9UND

Thanks for all the help. I know it's a hard question to answer. I'm going to have another go at it tonight. Maybe I'll hear some of you! I appreciate the screen shot of DigiPan!