JT9 - WOW! Very sensitive indeed!

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W7UUU, Aug 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone who invents a a popular mode, and one that does so much with so little, well, that is impressive.

Throw in a Noble prize and you got me.

One of the more prized cards I have! Way to go Joe!

Steve
    KV6O

2. N2ADV

N2ADV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

He was on 160 night before last :)

I need to get my arse in gear and get something for 160 in the air.

i have him on 40 meters JT9 from May of last year :) :)

3. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Why, yes, he was. ;) :p

Why, yes, you do. :p

4. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

And make sure you have your receive bandwidth set at least 2500 kHZ and 4000 if you want JT9.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Well, it was a major thrill for me - couldn't have been happier to work Samuel Morse on CW! Ok... that would have
    been cooler I suppose. But it's just dang rare to work someone who invents a popular mode

:):)

Made my day anyway :)

Dave

[Stoked for 160m in most any mode this winter - put up a 1/2-wave end-fed last month - loads
    like a dream and very nicely broad - but will it WORK??? Time will tell.... winter is coming!]

6. N2ADV

The brown truck brought something to play with today but it wasn't for 160 meters... Soon. :)

7. KF6A

KF6A Ham Member QRZ Page

JT9 is a neat mode. I've made QSO's on 40m with 1/10w into EU but the problem is too many people run too much power and not as many will hear you when running low power. I like to watch the RB network and see stations all over the world decode me when I use very low power.

8. N2ADV

And how do you know those people are running "too much power," pray tell? And please don't tell me it has something to do with how they appear on your waterfall.

9. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Exactly! I've received as high as +14 on JT9 running 1 watt to the East Coast from Seattle. I'm sure
    I had their waterfall quite "lit up" even though on QRP power level.

Dave
    W7UUU

10. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

No doubt! It might be a +14 to one guy and -14 to the guy next door to him!

If someone comes back to me with a JT report "louder" than about a -10, I tend to at least half my power out on my next transmission.

IMO, if you're a -01 to me during our QSO, your next shouldn't still be a -01, unless you just can't help it. Some folks will be a +14 and 50W throughout the whole QSO. Which isn't only a waste of energy, but technically against the FCC regs (97.313a).

Unlike the Ronco rotisserie grill, your radio is not a "set it and forget it" device!

If someone is wiping out your waterfall, first thing to do is turn off AGC and lower your gain.

Below is a sample with 3 minutes no AGC and 2 w/AGC enabled. Makes all the difference in the world if your rig is properly configured. Very rarely does someone's signal wipe out my waterfall and I always assume first it's something on my end.

As Jim N2ADV, and others will say, you really can't tell just from the waterfall if the other guy is "running too much power."

agcoffontest002.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.