JT9 - WOW! Very sensitive indeed!

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W7UUU, Aug 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N2ADV

N2ADV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The 817 was on 20 using the rain gutter and the K3 was on 15 using the 6BTV at the same time :)

2. W8NSI

W8NSI Ham Member QRZ Page

JT-9

I haven't tried transmitting yet because I haven't gotten receive working yet. I am trying it on 30 meters (about 10.138) and can see signals in the waterfall but nothing is decoding. I am rechecking my settings but so far nothing.

3. N2ADV

N2ADV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am assuming your time is accurate (some use Dimension 7, I find BKTimeSync works for me).

On the waterfall, there is a setting that says "JT65 (a number) JT9" - make sure the number is below the number where you are trying to decode JT9 on the waterfall. The number corresponds to a little blue line on the top of the waterfall so I usually just click the down arrow until that blue line is below where I'm decoding. I've attached a screen print of the waterfall even though it's set on JT65 just so you can see the parts I'm talking about. :)

Good luck!

Attached Files:

4. KD4EBL

KD4EBL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I generally keep the option JT65 & JT9 on, but notice all the decoded messages are JT65. When I just have the JT9 mode on I only get the JT9 signals, why does the program only decode the JT65 signals when it is in dual mode?

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Believe it or not, I just this morning received a very nice and fairly long email from none other
    than Joe Taylor himself - Mr. JT-Mode! And he too corroborated with the other guy who emailed
    me - that it certainly COULD be done to search a callsign database looking for matches but
    to his knowledge no decoding software he's aware of does this. "Deep Search" if I understand what
    he said correctly, does apply logic to decodes - if a "C" appears where typically one would find
    a "CQ", the "Q" doesn't necessarily have to be decoded - the software knows that most likely that's
    the spot in the string of data that one would expect CQ. But the software doesn't apply anything
    like that for the call sign.

And Joe: if you're reading this, and I didn't paraphrase correctly, feel free to correct me. I'm pretty
    sure I got it right though.

Now if I can just catch him on the air and get a JT65/JT9 QSL card from, well, JT! :)

Dave
    W7UUU

6. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats cool, Dave. I've seen him on 20m and tried to get him but didn't. Are you using the beam yet?

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

OMG!!!! JOE TAYLOR JUST REPLIED TO MY JT9 CQ!!!!

SCREENSHOT COMING SOON :)

Dave
    W7UUU

8. W7UUU

That's really cool - I get a very nice email from JT first thing today, and now work the guy on JT9 with 4 watts!

He's brought a heck of a lot of enjoyment to a great many hams - some of whom could only hope for "chasing
    paper" and getting awards before, who can now realistically try for such things with simple gear and antennas.

The paper QSL will be on the wall as soon as it gets here - SASE out today!!

Dave
    W7UUU

Attached Files:

9. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Like this?

k1jt_front.jpg

k1jt_back.jpg

:D

Steve
    KV6O

10. W7UUU

YES!!! And that's VERY COOL! - I hope to have the same soon!

Just not that often one gets to receive a QSL card from a ham who invented a MODE!!!

Would love to have a Samuel Morse [et al.] card.... or DeForest/Meissner/Armstrong (AM)
    or John Carson with SSB - I could possibly still work the fellow that developed PSK31 back in the 90s
    maybe - forget his name... and a few other digital modes. But the JT stuff has changed the
    world for folks with poor/limited antennas, low power, HOA issues, etc. more than any other
    mode IMO.

I'm a pretty simple guy - small things can really impress me :)

Dave
    W7UUU

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.