JT9 - WOW! Very sensitive indeed!

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W7UUU, Aug 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
  1. K0RGR

K0RGR Ham Member QRZ Page

My WSJTX has CALL3.txt - with six calls in it, none of which I have worked. I have an earlier implementation WSJT6 from 2007, and the CALL3.txt file there is quite large. However, my own callsign is not in it, and I've been active on WSJT modes for quite a while, particularly the meteor scatter modes.

There are people who consider anything copied by computer rather than by ear to be cheating. That would also wipe out PSK31 and a host of other digital modes that can be copied below the noise.

I've been having fun with JT65 and JT9 on 6 meters. There are a lot more openings there than we think, and the JT modes hear signals I can't hear with my ears.

2. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

It never occurred to me to check my CALL3.txt files. I checked on both my computers that I had my Flex hooked up to and both are empty! I am a happy camper.

3. N2ADV

N2ADV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So that setting is like the knob on a toaster: it doesn't do anything :)

4. W8NSI

W8NSI Ham Member QRZ Page

QSO via brain waves??? :)

5. W8NSI

JT-9 download

Is JT-9 a part of WSJT? I have looked for it and do not see it mentioned on the download page at:

http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjt.html

Is there a different place to find it?

6. W8NSI

NEVER MIND! I found the info after some more reading, in the WSJT-x archive. I am installing now to see what all the talk is about.

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Glad you found it Jim! JT9 is a significant improvement over JT65 IMO - and the WSJT-X software
    allows you to do both modes at the same time even! Much better interface and functions as well.

What utterly amazes me is the crazy low-power efficiency of it. I like to dial my FT-950 down
    to .5 watts (using the Signalink interface TX knob) - I use an Oak Hills QRP meter to set it up...
    and then call CQ and see how far I get - be sure to check out PSKReporter.info - put in your
    band, call sign, and mode and see who all is reporting that they hear you! It's really fun in
    the last few days dialing down to very low power, and running the TA-33MW in different directions - you
    can really see the lobing of the beam in the responses that show up at PSKR - I set the time
    to "last 15 minutes" so it's a great way to see who all is hearing you in a short time.

Have fun!

Dave
    W7UUU

8. N2ADV

N2ADV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

5 watts and a rain gutter. Working all over Europe.

Attached Files:

9. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Way to go Jim! Yeah - it doesn't take much with this mode that's for sure!

Dave
    W7UUU

10. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Haven't tried JT9 yet. Got my first WAS using JT65-HF and five watts or less. Took a few more months to complete WAS in SSB 100w or less. Downloaded and installed WSJT so I'll have to get busy with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.