JT9 - WOW! Very sensitive indeed!

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W7UUU, Aug 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
  1. KV4RH

KV4RH Ham Member QRZ Page

You've inspired me. Been doing a lot of JT65 while I'm in the shack doing school work or browsing ebay or whatever other menial computer task. I moved up the few kc to the JT9 guys and hvae made a few contacts today. Been dialing back the power, and came damn close to the 1000 mi/watt goal earlier today with some eastern europe on 5W. Calling cq now at 1W to see where I get spotted.

2. K4VLF

K4VLF Ham Member QRZ Page

Does JT9 use a similar protocol to JT65? Meaning, TX one minute, RX the next? 13 characters at a time kinds of stuff??

TNX
    Dave

3. AA8TA

AA8TA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it's the same format.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

47 seconds I believe for both modes, but yeah - it's pretty much the same. But in JT65 the tones are
    pronounced and you can hear them and this it takes up quite a bit more bandwidth.
    JT9 the tones are BARELY audible - sounds more like a steady tone (I monitor my own
    sending on the FT-950). But same 13 characters, same protocols, etc. etc. And the
    WSJT-X software is much more sophisticated than the JT65A software.... and it does
    both modes - at the SAME TIME if you want! (requires the use of "split" on your transceiver
    but the software does all the work - you just check the right boxes).

JT9 is VASTLY better at QRP in my own experience - orders of magnitude better! 1-2 watts
    and I've been working state after state. On JT65 for my WAS Digital Endorsement, many
    of the QSOs were at 20-50 watts - turning up the gas until the contact was made. So far,
    I've not used more than FIVE watts on JT9 and most of my Q's are at 1-2 watts.

Dave
    W7UUU

5. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you want real fun with JT9... awhile back, just for yuks, I turned my K3 down to 0.1W (didn't check it with a meter....just minimum power). I was able to make transcontinental contacts, and I did see myself heard in Europe on pskreporter, using a Carolina Windom.

6. W0JMP

W0JMP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Reminds of the inverse of a famous Yogi Berra quote: "Nobody goes to Coney Island anymore; it is too crowded."

I try to use it every day and like Dave says, it is crazy efficient. The more we use it, the more other people will use it.

My IC-7600 will only go down to 900 miliwatts, but I am adding a digital interface to my K2 so I can run lower power. I also just ordered an Icom IC-7100. I wonder how low it will go?

Dan, W0JMP

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'm a FAN! It's just downright creepy how well it works :)

Stuck in Raleigh, NC for 3 days on business :(

Dave
    W7UUU

8. AA8TA

AA8TA Ham Member QRZ Page

Bands sure are noisy tonight. S7 on 20 meters. Geomagnetic storm and some thunderstorms around here. Had to shut down. At least I got W1AW in my home state before the noise took over. I'm hoping somebody in North Dakota puts W1AW on JT65 sometime over the next several days - need ND for WAS/JT65.

9. W0JMP

W0JMP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave, as much as you travel, ya gotta get something to operate from those hotel rooms. JT9 is perfect for that.

They always asked me why I wanted the top floor ;-)

Danny, W0JMP

10. W7UUU

Indeed! I've been thinking about that lately.... just might have to put a travel rig together

Dave
    W7UUU

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.