JT9 - WOW! Very sensitive indeed!

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W7UUU, Aug 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Wow... another report of "-01" from N4SF in California - but I'm running ONE WATT... O N E ! ! !
    To a very average vee antenna up 40' - fed with 450-ohm ladder line (G5RV).

Sorry to keep posting such - but this is just FUN!! Spirit of ham radio and all that...

:)

W7UUU

2. N2ADV

N2ADV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have found JT9 to be crazy efficient when the band cooperates.

My experience is that it is also more sensitive to things like QRM and QSB (some may disagree with me) but when conditions are right, it's awesome. I made a 40 meter contact with one tenth of a watt from NY to a VK station and got a -15dB report. Of course, there have been times when I've used 75 watts just to get half way across the country and gotten a -24dB report so YMMV. Either way, it's really cool!

3. WA8ZYT

WA8ZYT Ham Member QRZ Page

Imagine what 1 KW will do.

4. N2ADV

If the band is closed, probably not a helluva lot!

5. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

JT9 - used it a bit when I first got WSJT-X up but I have stopped using it much because I do not see many stations on. Maybe activity has increased more lately. I should give a listen later today. I always see N2ADV out there working the world when I am on JT65 it seems!

I should try the low power thing and see what happens - I usually run 30W or more on JT65 so may give QRP on JT9 a try just for grins.

6. N2ADV

I'm on 20 meters right now and only have you on 40 and 17 JT65 :) :)

I am practically always on during the day. JT modes allow me to work and still work all over :)

7. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I started out doing JT65 with my FT817 and a 21' piece of wire out the window, and I managed to work lots of Europeans and even a few JA's with that. I haven't done as much with JT9, but it does work well...

8. N2ADV

Thx for the contact before :)

9. AA8TA

AA8TA Ham Member QRZ Page

Saw you last night on both JT65 and JT9. I have a crappy OCF close to the ground.

Screen Shot 2014-08-17 at 7.56.30 PM.png

10. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish more hams would use JT9. More efficient bandwidth wise, and seems to be more effective at low power. When the band is open on 20M, the watering hole cane be so filled with JT65 stations overlapping each other it's almost useless. Those same 20-30 stations running JT9 would enjoy less interference from each other...

On a related note, I got a QSL card from Joe Taylor the other day for a contact I had with him a few months ago. I think that's the only QSL card I have from a Nobel Prize winner, but I'll have to check.

:cool:

Steve
    KV6O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.