JT9 - WOW! Very sensitive indeed!

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W7UUU, Aug 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

What an amazing low-signal mode! Just started it today - running 2 watts on my FT-950
    (dialing down from 5 watts minimum on the rig to 2 watts measured via the Signalink TX level).

Contact after contact - first being PA (from my QTH near Seattle!) at -19 both ways.

Going to drop to 1 watt for an hour and see where it goes - antenna is just the G5RV.
    I knew that JT9 was far more sensitive than JT65 but had no idea "in person" until today!

If you've not tried it, and like digi modes - give JT9 a spin!

:)

Dave
    W7UUU

K2NCC likes this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

This is just crazy - I just worked W6AAJ in CA and got a +01 dB report... ?? How
    can that be if I'm only running ONE WATT? That's just weird - I've never seen a positive
    number in JT65 before - so apparently possible in JT9? But how with only a WATT
    into an inverted vee?

Dave
    W7UUU

3. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

He could have a gain antenna pointed at you and/or his recieve level is not set near the mid-point (30) and is getting a false high.

4. W7UUU

I don't know - one after another at 1 or 2 watts on this end - just worked N1ZHE in NH - 2W,
    W9GUE 2W, N1UU :))) MA at 1W, N7RJN AZ 1W, W6AAJ CA 2W, ND2K NJ 2W, K4EIT NC 2W
    and W3HZL in PA at 2W....

They can't all be running high-gain beams.... ???

It's uncanny - I'm not used to getting -09 report from MA running ONE WATT to an inverted Vee

Dave
    W7UUU

5. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

I am curious as to why you are using the Gr5V still? Are the Yagi's not ready? But JT65-9 are highly sensitive modes. As noted in an article in QST last Dec there is no better bang for the watt. I just swapped from a Flex 5k to an Anan 100d. I noticed by accident one night I had the antenna switched to my MFJ dummy load. The Flex was still decoding JT65! I have hit Germany and Russia using an indoor MFJ loop tuner on 20. It's a very cool mode.

6. W7UUU

No, I'm currently running ONLY on the G5RV still! The shiny pipes on the roof are not yet wired into the shack...

I've done JT65 for over 2 years - but very often had to hit 30-50 watts to make the contact
    a great many times.... SAME ANTENNA.

On JT9, I'm sitting here making QSO after QSO at either 1 or 2 watts... image below is a sampling of the
    log book (I log by power when running modes like this)

I got my WAS JT65 Digital Endorsement last winter, and looked into JT9 for the very reason I have
    all the aluminum going up - but now I'm thinking I'll find a way to run one half watt - not sure what all it
    will take to throttle things down that measurably with the Signalink & FT-950... but what fun that would
    be to attain a WAS running a half a watt on JT9 with my new antennas - TOTALLY possible I can see now!

Dave
    W7UUU

Attached Files:

• JT9.JPG
      JT9.JPG
      File size:
      66.9 KB
      Views:
  7. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Well since you admitted it first...I have also had to do up to 50 sometimes to make a dx contact. I will be soooo happy when I get my tower/beam up.

8. W7UUU

I'll bet if half the JT65 crowd came clean, they'd ALL admit to that.

HOWEVER.... my power levels for JT9 as reported are HONEST AND ACCURATE, into a G5RV
    inverted vee at only about 40 feet to the apex - 31.5' 450-ohm Window line directly to the
    LDG RT-100 tuner (with control head in the shack). ONE OR TWO WATTS is what I'm now
    running using JT9 - GA, OH, NH, MA, AZ, CA, NC, PA, and CO all in just a few hours on 20 meters
    to the G5RV.... WOW... I'm impressed!!

Dave
    W7UUU

9. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

I just looked you up on psk reporter. You're getting out further than you thought. You've been heard in AK, JA, Puerto Rico and Portugal. Very cool.

10. W7UUU

Crazy, isn't it? ONE WATT... honestly reported by me at that.... calling CQ now

Very cool mode, this. Glad that eQSL has a separate digital category for JT9
    (I got my ARRL Digital endorsement via JT65 a while back, as well as the eQSL version)

Dave
    W7UUU

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.