JT8 (?) - where to start and what is the current "status" ?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by AA7EJ, Sep 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

After reading the mostly negative "missuses of automated QSO " using JT8 I opened this resource

http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/K1JT_eme2006.pdf

only to find out the INITIAL purpose of this mode was what I am interested in - meteor scatter communication AKA "weak signal" communication.

The link is fairly dated and goes into , also dated, description of various "digital modes".
    At present , Mr Google returns multiple references , this indicating there in NO single "digital weak signal " communication protocol / usage.

Hence the post title.

As a greenie , I am NOT interested in analyzing sub-versions of "digital weak signal software" or arguing about "is it ham radio ? " .

I like to start with current ( no need to post link, I am capable to find it myself , just references will do ) software suitable to be used for meteor scatter experiments.

73 Shirley

2. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FT8.

3. G0JUR

G0JUR Ham Member QRZ Page

what bands? I use msk144 on 2m

4. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Since you don't want a link, I won't provide one, but there is a QEX article from a few years ago about the MSK144 protocol and meteor scatter. WSJT-X is the software.

KA9JLM likes this.
  5. AA7EJ

Thanks.
    Especially the MSK144 article is very helpful,
    Long way from recording "pings..." on cassette!

"Too many " download sources , including WSJT_Z, - little confusing.

Running WSJTX under Ubuntu 16, does not seems to be the latest version.

Now is the time to RTFM.

73 Shirley

6. K3CHB

K3CHB Ham Member QRZ Page

are you referring to JS8Call? best new digital mode there is if you ask me....

7. AA7EJ

I am primarily interested in meteor scatter and currently have no preference in any specific mode.
    It would be nice to have "ready to run" software, but it has to be "open source" .
    Been testing / looking at wsjtx desktop and as soon as I get "Qt creator" IDE clean up I'll take a peak at the software.
    It looks OK for the task, but I already see rather typical "open software conflicts " - everybody is making clones .
    That is why I asked in my OP for current status.
    Of course each clone is better than somebody else ....

To be honest , and after I posted another "discussion " about FT8, I did not expect much technical talk.
    Seems FT8 is all about sun spots . making DXCC in 24 hours , about "digital " QRM and rules.

Since I am interested in meteor scatter AKA VERY short and VERY weak signals - my primary requirements for hardware and software should be able analyze such signals.

For example to find out how long, how many "pings",
    it takes to send / receive fixed / known message or what is the longest known message send / recived in one ping...

Basically play statistical games bouncing signals from the meteorites traces.

So my current status is to check JS8Call if it can play the above games.

73 Shirley