ad: Amateur-1

JT65a anyone???

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KD4MOJ, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ok I have gotten bitten by the bug for this new mode. Got the new version of JT65a-HF installed and reading the docs. Very different than other modes for sure.

Any else in the group active with this mode (I know Don, kb9umt is here)? Hope to be up tonight and will use hamspots.net for spotting.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

yeah it's a lot of fun. many folks are doing it. come on in, the water's fine! I've had excellent luck with it on 80, 40, 30, and 20 meters. remember, 25 watts is a lot. start with that and see if you can move down to 10w or less - you'll be astonished! enjoy!

3. KD4MOJ

Cool... yeah I've been watching hamspots and the 30meter digital group has been talking about it in the yahoo mailing list. Hopefully I'll have it running shortly after I get home from work today...

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

4. KC0MS

KC0MS Ham Member QRZ Page

Go ahead and call me a party pooper....but I'd rather sit around and watch paint dry than do the JT-65 thing.

Besides that, some of the more critical reviews of it are not very flattering at all, with respect to the "accuracy and validity" of contacts made.

Just MY opinion, of course :)

5. KD4MOJ

That's what's great about AR. Tons of stuff to try, some to like and some not. I don't care for RTTY myself but lots of folks do. I'm starting to try all the other "not quite popular yet" modes. Contestia is another one...

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

6. KC0MS

KC0MS Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely! I would never suggest that you not give it a try and I'm glad you took my remark in the context is was intended.

I share your feelings about RTTY...however, like you, I am still investigating new and different digital modes myself.

Good luck with JT-65 and just good hamming in general. I tried JT-65 and didn't care for it...of course, YMMV

73, Karl

7. KD4MOJ

I did some searching on that Karl and I found the references to the CALL3.TXT and the signal reports. Hopefully this program, JT65a-HF, does not rely on the file and provides more accurate signal reporting. I guess we'll see! :)

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

8. KD4MOJ

Well i got the software installed, copied 72 transmissions overnight on 30m, but it's not tx'ing at the moment. Got to figure that out. IC-718 to a SignalLink USB.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

9. N0NSR

N0NSR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Doug,
    I had the same problem with a ts-690 and Signallink USB. Finally turned the tx on the signallink up to about 1 o'clock and it started xmitting. little different audio levels than psk31.

In playing with JT 65 just this past weekend, I worked five states and three countries in four or five hours of operating time. Pretty cool!

10. KD4MOJ

Got it working for this weekend, it ended up being the volume setup in windows. Didn't have all that much time to work the 30 meter sprint, but I did manage several countries. I guess over all I had about 30 contacts, all on 30 meters with my current setup.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.