JT65 Software will not load ?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KV4PW, Dec 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KV4PW

KV4PW Ham Member QRZ Page

I've tried to load both the JT-65 and JT-65HF After it downloads and I run the setup it opens and a second screen appears asking for my call sign and Grid square. I input those and move to the Ham Lib tab and select my radio , then my cat for TX then go to the last tab to accept the software and agree. I click on Save Config and the entire program closes. When I try to reopen it the config window reappears and its empty. Then i have to repeat the process over again with the same result over and over. Can someone please tell me what I may be doing wrong?

System: Dell Optiplex 455 with Quad processor
    Memory : 8 GB

2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Reinstall to a c:\ directory, not in "program files"

3. KW4EK

KW4EK Ham Member QRZ Page

What you describe is consistent with a file permissions issue in that the application can not write its configuration data to the folder you have elected to install it to, it will also, likely, be unable to write its log folder and temp files as currently setup and installed which may create other issues for you if not resolved. Either reinstall it as per the comment above or use admin permissions to grant write/change permissions for your user account to the WSJT-X folder (and, either way, understand that there are some security implications to doing so).

WSJT-X is a multi-platform application, so it tends to need to write to folders that are not ordinarily setup to be writable in Windows if you install it into either of the "Program Files" folders, which are read-only by default for added security.

Although I love the application I do hope they rework it some in the future as it is hell on SSD drives and it wants to write to multiple folder locations so it is not even trivial to address by setting up a RAM drive. FT8 made things even worse as it seems to generate a separate write operation to the log file for each individual decode (at 4 cycles per minute, and 20 plus writes per cycle, plus other temp files) instead of simply buffering all the decodes in a given cycle and writing them in a single operation, which causes an order of magnitude more wear than did earlier JT modes (which tended to be wider and/or slower). Smarter write operations would make it a much more responsible app from a drive wear perspective.

4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My assumption is that you are talking about WSJT-X. As EK says, your problem is one of permissions. To be doubly clear, when you install, you need to either allow it to install to the default directory it chooses (which should work...I've never had to change any of the install parameters when installing the program/updates on my Win 7 shack computer) or you need to run the install program as Administrator (right click on the install program and choose that).

5. KJ4TX

KJ4TX Ham Member QRZ Page

You can do it a couple of ways... Make sure that the user ID that you log into is in the Admin user group or login as the admin user and give your normal login ID full rights to the folders that the software is trying to write to. You could log in as the administrator all the time, but it is safer (for a number of reasons) to only log on as the administrator when you need to. There are also reasons not to put yourself in the admin group, but if you are the only person that ever logs into your computer the risk is minimized. Do give yourself good passwords though for all user ID's with different ones for your ID and the administrator password.

I am in the admin group on all of my computers (I have good passwords, multiple firewalls, good virus protection, etc.) and rarely have a problem installing any programs. I am also careful about what software I install as well since my being in the admin group would give malicious software the ability to install as well.. not that not being in the admin groups is not a whole lot safer either with some software but any precaution is better than none.

Mike

6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, it depends. As you say, mostly on whether you're the only person using the computer in question. If you have a bunch of teens using it for example, I'd say, yeah, don't let anybody but you log in as Admin. Otherwise? If it's a shack computer used only by you, it really doesn't matter much if you're logged in as Admin or not. Of course, safer is certainly always better, I agree.