JT65 software which DOESN'T lie?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by VE3GZB, Jan 4, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KH2G

KH2G Guest

You do understand the mode was originally for EME work with long turn around time (Due to distance) and very small signal which is why it runs so slow as it needs time to do much in a small segment of band. Dick KH2G

2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

VE3GZB said: ...I'll give up on it now.

we're all SO glad to read this!! thank you!

K3DCW likes this.
  3. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

I downloaded it, read the qrz post at that time, watched the mentioned video and all went fine business.
    But I was a little let down by the actual qso content. But I never questioned the time sync. Once you watch
    it go you will understand what its all about. But it is not a rag chew mode. Some do not want to work
    the same station twice. After you get the gest of the hole deal, that actually makes sense. Good luck,
    oh and there is tons of activity 24 hours a day. That's why I wanted to try it, then after all that I was kinda
    disappointed. But I am not the majority in my thinking. If yer a dx'r you will probably really like it.
    You can not tune to, example, 14.076 USB and start printing in the middle of a transmission. Your clock must be sinked and the program will start receiving either on the odd or even minute. Actually it will receive both odd and even minute. It knows when to start due to the sinc program. Then it knows as well when to transmit if you so choose to do so to whom you choose to answer calling cq. That's when I decided to read directions and video's when I just tuned to it and expected to start printing qso's. Not doable. Probably the most popular digital mode right now. Also if you have both jt9 and jt65, make sure your on the correct freq for that mode. My program opened in jt9 as a default, and kinda screwed with my head a few times.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That's the spirit - "I can't do it so it's dumb and I quit and anyone who does it is dumb too" :):rolleyes:

Nothing complicated or clumsy at all, considering all the many other things in ham radio. No better or worse to learn than anything else.

JT modes are FANTASTIC modes for what they do and how they do it... maybe 40m or 75m SSB in the evenings is more your speed... and I mean that with all good intentions

Dave
    W7UUU

K2NCC, KF7AXE, KC9RFO and 3 others like this.
  5. AE7RZ

AE7RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

We call that a "short circuit between the microphone and the floor"!

KC9RFO likes this.
  6. KD0KZE

KD0KZE Ham Member QRZ Page

This may not be the right thread, but I've often wondered about spurious data fed into pskreporter.info. I have a basic TS-590 and a modest G5RV. But I heard 3P9SZO on 20m from central China a day or two ago, and nobody else in the entire world did. My antenna isn't THAT good, and I have a hard time believing that propagation was such that the signal only happened to appear in the US Midwest, but nowhere else. I also heard a station in India this way, AT3MSO. I think one other station in the US heard that one. Neither of these calls are in the QRZ database.

Part of me wants to be excited -- hey, my setup is REALLY pulling in some distant DX! But the other part of me is wondering whether these aren't valid stations, whether WSJT-X can munge up callsigns, or something else going on. I suppose if the station isn't LoTW or at least eQSL guaranteed, then some bets are off? I don't think it's the software that's in the wrong here...

73, KD0KZE / Paul

7. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Download JT65 HF. I use an older version, works for me.

Download Dimension 4 for your computer clock sync software. Set it up to connect to one of the time servers listed in the software. Let it sync the computer clock every half hour. If the clock is not synced the software will not decode incoming signals. Don't ask why, just trust us on this matter.

You do not need a university course in computer programming to operate JT65 software. You do need to follow instructions given to you though.

I use Ham Radio Deluxe, DM780, JT65HF and WSJT software with my FTDX-1200 and a SignaLink USB and have made 1000's of contacts with different digital modes.

KC9RFO likes this.
  8. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You do know what Google is used for don't you? Not to sound rude but one search on Google
    with JT65 with a FTDX-3000 I came across this.

Maybe you should read this. Apparently your radio and software will work together just fine.

http://dcasler.com/2015/11/25/setting-up-wsjt-x-for-the-yaesu-ftdx3000/

9. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

you are right to be concerned about the reliability of pskrptr reports. I have wondered about that, too.

if you have the JT65 logs from that station's decode (look for timestamp), check out the kvast reliability factor. also, if your JT65 was set to save the audio you can try replaying the audio and see what kind of decode you get...

10. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Every once in a while I get a screwy decode like some rare Asian station. Of course when I try to work the rare DX they are never heard again. But it's like 1 in 100,000 and I figure the software is good though it's not flawless.