JT65 software which DOESN'T lie?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by VE3GZB, Jan 4, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AI6AK

AI6AK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm surprised you can't get WSJT-X to work with your 3000. Especially using Windows. I use WSJT-X (1.6) with a Mac and my 3000 and it works flawlessly. I did have to download a Silabs driver and make sure the audio was set at "USB Audio CODEC" for the input/output in WSJT-X Preferences. USB cable from the radio to the computer and that was it.

2. VE3GZB

VE3GZB Ham Member QRZ Page

Despite re-installation and reboots, Commander refused to recognize the USB connection to my radio. No error message given. The Yaesu drivers are still ok, I can still run PCC3000 and FLDIGI. But after the last reboot it seems to have cleared itself up??? Why? What else may go wrong with no indication given?

JT65-HF continues to fail, it actually will not save any preference data such as callsign. Upon exit it seems to fail to write to the drive, The computer has no such difficulty with any other application. Only JT65-HF has this issue.

The exact message is:

"Unable to create file: C:\Users\Geo\AppData\local\JT65-HF\station1.xml. Press OK to ignore and risk data corruption. Press Cancel to kill the program."

Can JT65-HF not recognize an NTFS formatted hard drive? NTFS isn't exactly new. JT65-HF also does not work with Commander despite being selected.

WSJT will still sit there and do nothing but pretend to work, move the waterfall in response to some unknown signal and clutter up the text screen with random characters. What a useless piece of software.

WSJT-X now gives some appearance of decoding. The waterfall is scrolling and there is listed something in the Band activity screen, a few callsigns are appearing. I don't see where they are actually talking or having a conversation with one another.

The frequency readout in WSJT-X is inaccurate. The display on the computer screen is 14.076.000 but my radio is actually tuned to a signal at 14.076.870. Why does the software not read the frequency correctly? It this just badly written software? I'm tending to think so because FLDIGI and PCC3000 all read the frequency of the radio correctly.

Whatever so-called "help" has been cataloged with WSJT software, it doesn't address ay of the issues when their software just doesn't want to work in a computer environment which otherwise works with FLDIGI and PCC3000 from Yaesu.

These software authors have to get their act cleaned up. But then again, they won't now. Why should they? Judging by only some of the responses here, I've seen that just enough hams just don't give a damn when they learn something may be wrong - as long as their situation is fine they just say it's not my problem and curse up the complainer. They can't be bothered or inconvenienced. I pity the total newbie who wants to step into ham radio today as a hobby as he or she will be totally alone and pounced upon by angry pitbulls who have nothing helpful to offer. If this is the prevailing attitude today, ham radio deserves to perish.

3. AI6AK

AI6AK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My frequency response with my 3000 and WSJT-X is spot on. When I change freqs on the radio, the program reads it appropriately. I change bands and switch between JT-65 and JT-9 with the program, the radio responds exactly to it. And, I'm using Yaesu 5000 as the radio identifier in WSJT-X.

4. N8MSA

N8MSA Ham Member QRZ Page

Make no mistake - the reaction to you, and your posts, has less to do with the quality of the software and more to do with your attitude, which has been deplorable throughout this thread. Everything you have written has been either technically inaccurate or extremely arrogant. No amateur radio software, free or otherwise, is perfect but most of the challenges - including the file issues you mention in this post - have been brought on by your own action or, perhaps more appropriately, inaction. Rarely have I seen anyone so steadfastly refuse to take positive action or to accept the help that he (or she) asked for, especially from someone that claims to be a retired EE.

The software that you have lambasted here is the work of a Nobel laureate (Joe Taylor) and several excellent software developers (e.g. Bill Somerville), most with decades of experience. A simple Google search, aside from the links that several of us posted, would have lead you directly to them and would given you your opportunity to tell them how to make better free software. This would have also afforded you the chance to find out that thousands of people are using WSJT-X successfully and everything you mention in your posts has turned out to be correctable user error.

KC9YTJ, N9DSJ and K3DCW like this.
  5. AJ0Z

AJ0Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Use DXLabs Commander as the rig interface to WSJT-X

6. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Perhaps you still had FLdigi or PCC3000 running, thus tying up the serial port. Only one program at a time can access the port.

As I recall, the solution to this is simple; run the program as an Administrator. (Right click and select "Run as Administrator").

The best solution is to abandon JT65-HF as it is abandonware and not worth the time to get working.

WSJT works very well, but it is different. It takes a bit of skill to understand how to make it work. We've told you to abandon WSJT, but for some reason you keep digging it up. Let it go, dude. Just let it go.

As we told you, and as I specifically told you, read up on the QSO protocol for JT65. It doesn't have "conversations". Again, a failure to read is causing misunderstanding.

Definitely not poorly written software. What mode are you in on your 3000? Do you have any RIT/XIT set on the rig?

Occam's Razor.

Is it more likely that

1) tens of thousands of hams "just don't give a damn" and ignore crappy software.

or

2) the error lies with the one; in this case you.

"Can't be bothered or inconvenienced". "Can't be bothered or inconvenienced"?

Really? You have had over a dozen operators try to help you here, even going so far as to give you step-by-step instructions to get it working, which it seems it is now; and you say that they "have nothing helpful to offer"?

Wow. Consider yourself blocked.

K7NZW and N9DSJ like this.
  7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow. Just wow.

Good luck!

Steve
    KV6O

K3DCW likes this.
  8. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

PEBKAC

Problem
    Exists
    Between
    Keyboard
    And
    Chair

KD4MOJ and N9DSJ like this.
  9. KK6GMN

KK6GMN Ham Member QRZ Page

Sooooo... You are under the impression that if one or two pieces of software work, all should work regardless of user install issues, configuration errors or corruption?

K3DCW likes this.
  10. K5RCD

K5RCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

K7NZW, N9DSJ, KJ3N and 1 other person like this.