JT65 software which DOESN'T lie?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by VE3GZB, Jan 4, 2016.

ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VE3GZB

VE3GZB Ham Member QRZ Page

You mentioned Rigblaster Advantage?

My Yaesu has a built-in USB port and with USB drivers from Yaesu, control and audio are all managed by a single USB cable plugged into the back of the radio and works well in FLDIGI and the correct rigCAT file.

Do I have to spend money to buy this Rigblaster Advantage device?

I can't work wavelengths 40m or longer, not only because I can't set up a proper antenna (I have to use an attic fan dipole, no antennas or clotheslines permitted in my area, HOA stuff you know) but the QRM is horrendous here on the longer wavelengths here, S9 on good days and +30 over other times. So I work the shorter wavelengths. 73s

2. AJ0Z

AJ0Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I am using an FTdx-3000 with the Yaesu virtual drivers with WSJT-X. Set it up properly and it will work. I have been using this for over a year. You are doing something wrong, plain and simple.

3. VE3GZB

Yes but what? Your reply isn't very helpful.

4. VE3GZB

In WSJT-X, there is no listing for the FTdx3000 and trying to establish a link using a couple of other choices (FTdx5000, 9000) yield only failure messages.

In WSJT V10.0 r6088, there is no place at all for rig control (so how would one PTT upon typing a reply). I'm running WSJT V10.0 now, I am seeing just some random numbers occurring in the area where they may perhaps be text. I can hear a signal in the speaker which sounds like JT-65. There is no text of any kind appearing.

In JT65-HF, choices for rig control/PTT are PTT Port, Alternate PTT method, Ham Radio Deluxe, OmniRig, Commander. None of these have proven to establish any kind of USB link between the computer and the radio.

In FLDIGI, via the Yaesu virtual com port and virtual sound card on USB, it's COM4 at 4800BPS which is used. The Yaesu PCC3000 also communicates to the rig correctly via USB. Entering the relevant data in JT-65-HF to try to establish any kind of link is completely fruitless.

The computer isn't some odd thing from North Korea. It's a Lenovo ThinkCentre M-series running Windows 7.

All software is at default settings so I haven't toyed around with any settings.

So what's the next step then? Or is JT65 just screwing with me, just to tick me off?

5. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

JT65 is not for you! Seriously, there's no reason to be frustrated, ham radio is supposed to be enjoyable. Stick with Olivia, that's a great mode.

6. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

<HANDHOLDINGMODE:ON>

Everything you need is right in front of you. You just haven't taken the time to figure out what any of it means.

That's because WSJT-X relies upon HAMLIB and HAMLIB does not yet support the FTdx3000, to the best of my knowledge. However, all is not lost.

Ditch v10, as advised earlier. Forget about it. Let it go. It is old and no longer in development. All development is taking place on WSJT-X. Delete, uninstall, and otherwise forget about it.

That's because JT65-HF uses external programs to do rig control. If you would use Google, you'd seee that Ham Radio Deluxe, OmniRig, or Commander (DXLabs Suite) are all separate programs that provide the rig control; thus you need to get one of these if you want to use JT65-HF. However, since JT65-HF has been abandoned and is no longer under development, I'd ditch it too and focus solely on WSJT-X. However, if you insist on using this old software, you'll be able to select "Commander" for your rig control once you follow the steps below.

Fldigi has NOTHING to do with it. Disregard anything having to do with Fldigi for the moment. And for the record, Fldigi doesn't use "Excel formatted files" for RigCAT control as you stated above. RigCAT files are XML (a form of markup language), not Excel.

So, here's how you can get started.

1) Use only WSJT-X v1.6 (http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx-1.6.0-win32.exe)

2) Download and install DXLabs Commander following the instructions at http://www.dxlabsuite.com/commander/download.htm. You don't need the entire DXLabs suite for now, just Commander.

3) Once it is installed, start Commander and choose your rig (FTdx3000). Use the port (COM4) and baud rate (4800bps), same as Fldigi. Make sure that when you turn your dial on the rig, the program follows along. There, you have your rig control working.

4) Now, start WSJT-X. Enter your call sign and grid square. Under the Radio Tab, select "DX Lab Suite Commander". Set your PTT method for "CAT". Then you can use the "TEST CAT" and "TEST PTT" buttons to verify that you have control of your rig. Under the Audio tab, select USB Audio CODEC or whatever the FTdx3000's internal sound card is listed as. Hit "OK" and close that window.

5) Tune your rig (or use the pulldown on the WSJT-X front panel) to 14076 (20m on the pulldown). Set your mode (Mode Menu in WJST-X) for JT65 (or JT9 + JT65 if you want to decode both modes simultaneously). Assuming you have your audio setup correctly in WSJT-X and you're tuned to USB or DATA-U, and your time is correct (within one or two seconds), you'll see decodes eventually.

Now, while watching the decodes, go back and read the manual on how to do QSOs.

You were trying to setup Meinberg NTP earlier. You pitched a fit because it asked you for a user name and password. This is an optional step, and if you read the screen you'll see where it recommends that you create a separate account to run the NTP service. This is NOT required. You can either cancel/bypass this step or you can enter something like NTP as a username and TIMEHACK as a password (use whatever you want). If that is too complicated, then Google for Dimension4 and set it up to control your time.

There. You should be up and running in WSJT-X. If not, then I don't know how it could be made any simpler.

<HANDHOLDINGMODE:OFF>

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    K7NZW, AE7RZ, W9AMM and 1 other person like this.
  7. KK6GMN

KK6GMN Ham Member QRZ Page

I think perhaps JT65 is not for you. Try something else.

N9DSJ, K3DCW and W7UUU like this.
  8. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I prefer JT65HF. It uses HRD for its engine. The two work together perfectly. Once set up it runs great, easy to use.

I've fiddle briefly twice with WSJT-X and couldn't figure out anything. shrug. I'll give it another try sometime.

9. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

WSJT-X has incorporated most of the good things from JT65-HF, like multi-decode and easy to understand QSO step sequences (select tab "2" on the right side of the WSJT-X main screen to see that). Fortunately, WJST-X has greatly improved upon JT65-HF as well with features like JT65 & JT9 decodes simultaneously (JT9 is a far superior mode in 10% of the bandwidth), support for a lot of rigs not supported in HRD/Commander while also including HRD and Commander as support options (so you don't have to change your rig control method away from HRD), and now v1.6 includes other JT65 modes (JT65B) as well as WSPR (formerly a separate program). WSJT-X v1.6 is really a superior program now.

N9DSJ likes this.
  10. N9DSJ

N9DSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The biggest differences are twofold; WSJT/WSJT-X is presently supported and JT65-HF is not. WSJT-X also includes the more efficient JT9 mode(s).

I say this as one of the first two or three JT65-HF beta testers. Joe Large (who coded JT65-HF) did a great service in making JT65a a popular HF mode for many; he also integrated into this the entire "reverse beacon" reporting system (think Javier named it as such) along with non-manual multiple decodes per sequence. His contributions should be well noted.

To be honest, before this most of us using Joe Taylor's program on HF were people that were used to WSJT for MS/EME on VHF/UHF; a pretty small cross section of operators.

I agree with K3DCW, as presently constructed, WSJT-X is a preferred program suite.

Bill N9DSJ

K3DCW and W7UUU like this.