ad: MyersEng-1

JT65 software which DOESN'T lie?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by VE3GZB, Jan 4, 2016.

ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. N9DSJ

N9DSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

No, there are a variety of other methods of time-syncing; such as GPS data, WWV or other time standards. I operate JT modes at my other home that has no internet access all the time.

There are only 3 software suites that I know of for JT65x modes; WSJT, Multipsk or JT65-HF.

BTW, the USB driver will just appear as a sound card choice.

N2ADV likes this.
  2. N9DSJ

Despicable???? Perhaps you should ask for a refund for the software.

W9AMM and N2ADV like this.
  3. K0ON

K0ON XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not to insult you or anything but do you have JT65HF set up to look in the proper usb port for the radio? And the is the program using the proper sound in and sound out settings? Try this and go step by step to set it up. It should be easier being that you are going direct from radio to computer as opposed to how I've had to do it, using a signalink and separate cat control.

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Get on the Air with HF Digital/jt65-hf-setup.pdf

4. VE3GZB

VE3GZB Ham Member QRZ Page

What about rig control? FLDIGI seems to interface adequately with my radio, it reads frequency and mode, it can switch the radio between Rx and Tx.

I can't seem to get either software JT65-HF or WSJT to function. I did download and try Multipsk but the user interface was too overwhelming and it also didn't talk with my radio.

5. VE3GZB

Yea. Rig control is absolutely useless. None of the settings in there will enable functional control between the PC and the FTdx3000.

6. N9DSJ

Rig control is under files/settings/radio for WSJT.

7. VE3GZB

Yes. And none of the settings will allow the software to interface to the Yaesu. But FLDIGI works just fine. Obviously I'm not running both FLDIGI and any other JT65 software at the same time.

8. K0ON

K0ON XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This has to be a simple issue with one of 2 of the setting in the software not jiving correctly.

9. VE3GZB

Which settings in which software? In FLDIGI there is an Excel file written for whichever radio you're using, to describe the radio to the program. It's a rigCAT file. How do I get any of these other programs to recognize and work with this file?

10. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For JT65/9 you really don't need rig control. Set the rig to 14.076 USB and leave it there. The one advantage of rig control is if properly used, it can keep your audio signal centered in the passband of your SSB filter, instead of being very high or very low pitch as you answer other stations or call CQ. But most of the time, you can enjoy success without doing that. The biggest problem is answering JT-9 signals above 2.5 kHz.

I use WSJT-X, and I had some issues with my Rigblaster Advantage, but it was easily corrected. I don't have any of the USB - Yaesus so I can't help much there.

JT65 and JT9 have a significant advantage over Olivia, though Olivia is also an outstanding weak signal mode. Listen around 3583.5 in the evenings - there are a myriad of Olivia nets there. That's the USB dial frequency. The Michigan Digital Traffic Net is on 3583. I run the Minnesota Digital ARES Net on Thursday nights on 3583.5, and we're always sandwiched in between two other Olivia nets. We start on 8/500 and then often change to something else. If conditions are good, Contestia 4/500 is very good. With thunderstorm static, Olivia 8/500 is usually the best we can do. Most of us run 30-50 watts, with many running QRP.

Now, with a 21 foot piece of wire out the window to a nearby tree, I've worked all continents in an afternoon with JT65, using an FT-817.

I use Dimension 4 software to keep my computer in sync. Sometimes I have to change the NTP server I use - not sure why, but some limit the number of times you can sync with them, apparently. The list of servers provided with the code are sufficient - I general bounce between Microsoft and the Naval Observatory.