JT65 mobile?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by AE5RU, Mar 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AE5RU

AE5RU Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't tried it yet but I make a lot of ~ 100 mile trips for doctor visits and was thinking while my voice is out I might try some jt65 mobile,

just wondering if anyone else has done it and what sort of issues might I run into. I do not have a way to have internet while mobile.

I can run my laptop and everything else is already in place for mobile hf.

My wife drives me to and from my Dr's appointments so distracted driving is not a concern.

any mobile jt65'ers out there?

2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

yes! done it, works great, laptop and USB sound card in to TS-480, in to MFJ Ham Sticks on their 3x magmount. enjoy! Cliff

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Sounds a bit distracting.... but surely can be done. No reason not. Just be safe about it :)

Dave
    W7UUU

4. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can also do just about any other digital mode, like PSK31, from your laptop. JT65 requires the clock to be accurate and that may or may not be a problem.
    The other digital modes are relatively free from clocking problems. If you have HRD use the DM780 program and have fun.
    JT65 has some advantages and will do well with a minimal setup, but needs a nice laptop.
    It's great you mentioned you are being driven to and from your appointments. Trying digital while mobile is rough. CW can be done if you copy in your head:rolleyes:...

Have fun
    Gary

5. W0JMP

W0JMP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Since you wife is driving, should not be a distraction issue. I worked a couple on PSK that ran mobile a lot.

Be safe

Danny, W0JMP

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

DOH! Misread that part...

Sounds fun actually!! I might give that a whirl one of these days on a long roadtrip with my wife

Dave
    W7UUU

7. N2ADV

N2ADV Ham Member QRZ Page

Same setup here except Hustler antennas and a trunk lip mount. :).

It does work well!

8. AE5RU

Thanks for the replies, it is just what I was hoping to hear, the reason I was wanting input from others who have tried it is I didn't know for sure if jt65 worked well without internet connection. 20 meters mobile jt65 here I come.
    Thanks again guys

9. AE5RU

I'll be running a ic-7000 into a Tarheel 200a-hp, a Toshiba laptop, and I do have hrd, I didn't even think about trying hrd's DM780. The wife will be over joyed at all the beeps not! lol

10. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And....You listen to digital:confused:???
    Okay, so do I but that's what a simple earbud is for....

Have fun
    Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.