ad: ProAudio-1

JT65 and JT9 on 6 and 2 Meter Band

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KJ4TX, Mar 6, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KJ4TX

KJ4TX Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got my 2nd radio set up to do JT65 and JT9 on 6 and 2 metersf, but so far I've not heard anyone or been answered. The WSJT-X program I'm using has reset frequencies when I switch to those bands but when I google I find other frequencies mentioned (no luck on those either) but nothing that really points as the meeting frequency like there is on HF.

What I'm looking for is if anyone here in the PNW that might regularly do the JT modes on these 2 bands can provide what frequencies you use?

What is interesting is even when PSKReporter shows 6 and 2 meter signals the frequencies are not even near the ones I'm using. Those have been in the central and Eastern side of the US though, so people may have a different plan they use.

It may be that it is very rarely used here in the PNW but if I can find a place to set my radio, I'd like to put it there and let it monitor for awhile.

Mike

2. W9AFB

W9AFB Ham Member QRZ Page

Many people will set up skeds on the various VHF pages/groups for digital contacts on those bands.

3. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The good news is that you're all set for meteor scatter, so you have something to keep you entertained. Random meteors happen all the time, and there are usually people around that you can work, out to a range of about 1200 miles. You need WSJT, not WSJT-x, and some education. http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjt.html

http://www.k5kj.net/Meteorscatter.htm

http://www.pingjockey.net/cgi-bin/pingtalk -- this one has links to the jt65 page, but is for high speed MS

http://www.chris.org/cgi-bin/jt65talk

There is a definite protocol that you have to follow to do MS on 6 and 2 (and 10 for that matter). Once you get the hang of it, you will think you are doing JT65. And you can use the JT65 page above to make JT65 skeds, too.

K6CLS likes this.
  4. AH6LE

AH6LE Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't speak to terrestrial JT65 on 2 meters in the PNW but there are many of us doing 2 meter EME.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I've got quite a few 6m JT65 contacts - not that great but still fun - 7 states plus BC, Canada

Lots of time when I know I'm going to be traveling for a few days, I'll leave the rig running 6m JT65 just to see if anyone appeared in the "Band Activity" side of WSJT-X when I get home - just to see who I might have worked while away

Dave
    W7UUU

6. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

WSPR runs on VHF, it to s an improvement on CW and unattended JT65.

VK2KRR likes this.
  7. KJ4TX

KJ4TX Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the information. The reason I set up my IC-746Pro was so I could leave it running on either 6 meters or 2 meters (6 meters being the preference but I wasn't sure what frequencies to leave it on in this area and I'm not finding anybody that leaves a PSK monitor up on the West coast on 6 meters so I guess if I do copy a signal while it's up and running, I'll be the only one or only one of a very few.

I took a look at WSPR this last weekend. I'm not quite sure how it works and what the T M R are that show on the waterfall. I assume Tx and Rx but not what the M stands for and why they are so far apart. WSJT-X has JT4 and JT2 as well as WSPR and a couple of other modes I've not looked at. I'd be willing to try any of the modes if I had anyone to try them on. Even meteor scatter.

Again, thanks for the suggestions and information.

Mike

8. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have found that random CQ on 6 with JT65 will yield results on occasion. There are people listening, you just need a band opening to find them. If you have a high enough antenna, direct line of sight contacts out to a few hundred miles should be workable. I use an ancient IC-746 here.

9. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

6M is open about 25 days or less a year for all but the big stations. 50.276 is the frequency. Late Dec- early Jan and Late May - July - other than that an opening is rare
    unless you are far south. If there is e-skip you will hear quite a few JT65 stations. I don['t recall hearing any JT9 .

10. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Mike, use FSK441 or ISCAT for meteor scatter. Check out N0UK logger to set up a schedule for QSO.