JS8Call

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W5EDF, Jun 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N0YPD

N0YPD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I played with it several times,and I agree with the others. It's pretty dead compared to ft8.

2. N5SON

N5SON Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My setup is correct and I have the latest version installed. It's simple. At the time I'm listening, I'm not hearing anything. It's the curse of living in a valley. I didn't say, that I think the mode stinks. I always have http://www.pskreporter.info/ up, when I'm doing digital work. I see the signals, I just can't hear or see them at my QTH. I will keep trying. I don't give up on any mode.

3. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

Scott, how about let's see if we can hear each other. I'll tune to 7078 now at 15:00Z with JS8Call "Auto" on and "HB" heartbeat set for 30 min. I'll leave it on until 01:01Z tonight when I have a net scheduled. Please let me know if you can hear my 50w.

Scott, I just heard you call CQ with an SNR here in East Texas of -15dB. I answered but got no response. I'm also hearing w4cat, k9bhp, and kv4atv. Did you see anything on your waterfall?

Your latest CQ is up to SNR -07dB. Seems to be something amiss on receive? Here's who all heard you calling CQ:

w5vtc.png

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    N5SON likes this.
  4. N5SON

Cecil, I didn't hear your response, and I didn't see any other calls. At least, I know my transmit is working. I tripled checked all my sound card settings and they are correct. Now, I've entered the weird strange zone, where I have to figure out why I can't hear anything. :eek: I'm sure, I have to be missing something. Thank you very much for helping me along. I made 31 FT8 contacts today and my sound card settings are the same in both programs.

5. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

Try selecting your sound card control panel and looking at the mic input using FT8 and then using JS8Call to see if they look the same. If using Windows, have you given permission for JS8Call to access the microphone sound stream?

mic-test.png

N5SON likes this.
  6. N5SON

7. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

You're NOT going to hear much by ear on 40 meters during the day, but, there are ppl listening.

You can see who is listening/active by going to:

https://www.pskreporter.info/pskmap.html

and selecting the 40m band and JS8 as the mode.

N5SON likes this.
  8. N5SON

Scratch that! I need to check that setting, but it will have to wait until the morning. I totally forgot about the Windows 10 permissions. Thanks Cecil!

9. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Enable beaconing. It may be a case of everybody listening, until they hear something.

I saw that in the past, one beacon, and ack would be received.

N5SON likes this.
  10. N5SON

Okay, it appears that worked! :) I opened the sound settings with WSTJ-X and the sounds are using my USB device. I opened JS8Call and it was not. It was using the default the sound settings. Changed the program settings to USB devices and wahlaa, I can now see stations and receive SNR's. Thank you Cecil! It's always the simple things that get my goat. ;)

KT5WB likes this.