ad: Radclub22-1

JS8Call: Overview of Operational Features

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0OKE, Nov 11, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N7AKG

N7AKG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The website "http://js8call.com/" has them listed toward the bottom of the page and they are built-in to the JS8Call software.
    Here is list from the website:
    1.842Mhz
    3.578Mhz
    7.078Mhz
    10.130Mhz
    14.078Mhz
    18.104Mhz
    21.078Mhz
    24.922Mhz
    28.078Mhz
    50.318Mhz

2. KM6ZJK

KM6ZJK Ham Member QRZ Page

I just started using JS8Call and then stumbled across this video. Great timing; I learned a lot. Thank you for the presentation!!!

3. M0MNE

M0MNE Ham Member QRZ Page

I decided to give JS8Call a try after watching this because it looked good. I managed a pre-arranged QSO with a friend, but that's the only QSO I've achieved. I've tried calling CQ every day for the past week and haven't had a single bite. It seems JS8Call is as dead as a dodo.

4. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't know what your setup is Cesar, but I regularly get 1500-3000mi and often 5000-9000mi with 25W & a vertical. But I agree, though it can work, it is not primarily a QRP mode like WSPR. Most important with all digi modes is not to over drive the audio. I see many over driven FT/JS8 signals on the air that would likely reduce decoding accuracy. Try the Slow speed to get a couple more db sensitivity from the decode.

5. N7AKG

N7AKG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wouldn't give up yet. It does take patience and sometime a bit of band hopping to find the 'action' but I have made a number of QSOs with this mode and enjoyed this new mode since I do not have a strong signal from my QTH. But I will agree that the 'critical mass' of users is not there yet so sometimes I get nothing - not even heartbeat reports. But will keep trying. Not exclusively but each time I get on the rig I check out the JS8 activity, give it some time, and move on to other modes if nothing happening. If enough folks do this then eventually we will get coverage that is more consistent. So please do not give up just yet.

6. N5QXP

N5QXP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

After watching the video, I was intrigued by this mode as it seems to dovetail with FT8. I was wrong. After being on this mode for roughly 3 days, my results were spotty at best.

First the negatives:
    • Activity is practically non existent. You can get on FT8 20 mtrs during the day and its brimming with activity. JS8? Not so much.
    • You can cast your heartbeat out there, and get several stations coming back to you, but it's crickets when you call CQ.
    • I just tried 40 and 80 meters and had at least 10 responses to my heart beat, but nobody came back to my CQ. It's almost as if everyone is scared. They just lurk in the background.
    • Very little DX activity.
    • Few people show their grids. That's frustrating.
    Now the positives:
    • I think this is an excellent mode that enhances digital communications.
    • The overall concept is great, and the messaging forwarding capability and APRS would greatly enhance disaster communications.
    • It's a great way to get new hams that may be a bit mic shy into amateur radio, especially since we text on our phone, laptops or PC's on a daily basis. It's just a natural extension of text messaging.
    I truly hope more hams see the fun and practicality of JS8 and participate a little more fully in a mode that is relatively simple to use. I'm going to be patient and try to get more of my friends interested in JS8.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020