ad: vanity

JS8CALL (FT8CALL on Steroids) 20wpm - 24 db / Jordan KN4CRD does it again!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Oct 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

But maybe, for lots of us, CW is just plain fun. It can take lots of WORK to pull out a weak CW station - and that's fun.

Ya know? Fun? It's not always about "best S/N ratio" Think "challenging". Sometimes doing something hard is more rewarding than doing something easy. Stairs vs. Elevator. Bike vs. car. Lots of examples.

FT8 JS8 whatever ... computers talking to computers. Yes, I do FT8. But it's a computer yakking with a computer.

But comparing it to CW and the experience of CW, means you just "don't really get CW" so it's not really fair to just push it aside based solely on S/N ratio.

Photoshop does wonders for a skilled software person - but it's very different than a paint brush and full paint palate in the hands of an artist.

Dave
    W7UUU

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    KF4ZKU, W4MHZ, KA2FIR and 5 others like this.
  2. W0FW

W0FW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

FT8Call IS this new mode....it was just renamed to JS8Call, but they are one in the same.

This software is also in the "development" stage. If you are insecure about giving out your email address, then you most likely are not a good candidate to be "testing" an experimental software package.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.........

When it becomes a "general" release, it will be made available to the public without the need to "sign up" or provide any "bits of information" from the user. We hope that when it reaches that stage, you will consider trying it out.

KD6SM likes this.
  3. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can still have negative SNR values in heavily coded systems like DVB-S2 without specifying bandwidth. The Es/N0 of 1/4 rate QPSK in DVB-S2 is -2.35 dB.

DVB-S2X has added a VL-SNR (Very Low - SNR) mode with Es/N0 down to -9.9 dB for 1/5 rate spread BPSK.

WA1ZMS likes this.
  4. WA1ZMS

WA1ZMS Ham Member QRZ Page

Fair enough. I had not considered DVB and its heavy coding. But to your better point, why don't the authors of the code hams use include specs such as Eb/No as well? I wish there was a more level plsying field instead of the broad guestimates which are often reported.

I've used WSJT & CW. I prefer CW if only for that it can be sent and coppied by the human operator. But digi for EME has a serious advantage. Working 6m FT8 when sigs can be coppied by ear? That's just wrong IMHO. :)

5. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Truly remarkable signal level parameters ! :cool:

G3SEA/KH6

6. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "FT8 JS8 whatever ... computers talking to computers."

Uh - uh. With JS8 it is *people* using computers to talk to people.

Had several QSOs last night on 160 as a matter of fact using JS8 under very noisy (QRN) band conditions.

G3SEA likes this.
  7. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great work Jordan, may usurp my current favorite, FSQ, many similarities. Hopefully it won't be over run by mindless hordes like ft8 has become.

8. WB9IIV

WB9IIV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Tom
    I worked you this evening and logged at QRZ.com
    WSJT-X ADIF Export<eoh>
    <call:4>NN2X <gridsquare:4>EM13 <mode:3>JS8 <rst_sent:3>+06 <rst_rcvd:3>+02 <qso_date:8>20181010 <time_on:6>223306 <qso_date_off:8>20181010 <time_off:6>225906 <band:3>20m <freq:9>14.079600 <station_callsign:6>WB9IIV <my_gridsquare:6>EM69ST <tx_pwr:2>10 <comment:10> TU 73 <name:3>TIM <eor>
    Thx for QSO 73 wb9iiv Harry

9. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Cool. The reason I mentioned Github specifically was that through issues you'd have a somewhat direct user interaction. Not comparable of course to a group/ mailinglist (remember those? :) ).

10. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Which means they all run unpatched machines with no more security updates on the open Internet providing breeding grounds for botnets.