JS8Call 1.0 Officially Out

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KD5UFQ, Apr 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KN4CRD

KN4CRD Ham Member QRZ Page

You should ;) lots of goodies in the guide.

But, in the meantime, you can turn that off functionality by opening the control menu, send heartbeat..., and uncheck Send Heartbeat Acknowledgements. This is also accessible by right clicking the HB button.

Cheers!

Best,
    Jordan / KN4CRD

2. WB9YZU

WB9YZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Jordan,
    I appreciate you being on-line.

After reading the docs, I saw the HB feature. I'll turn it off and see what I get.
    The description of the software functionality for relay and messages reminds me of AX.25.

KN4CRD likes this.
  3. KK6RKY

KK6RKY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Everything went smoothly in the installation of the public release of JS8Call for me. After the usual configuration, I have made some contacts and look forward to making many more! This is an exciting time for using this mode as many of us are just making our first contacts. Thanks to all those who have made this possible.
    Erik

KN4CRD likes this.
  4. KK6RKY

KK6RKY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

JS8 is listed under MSFK and available for logging in QRZ. I have logged my first two contacts this way.

KN4CRD likes this.
  5. VE3GZB

VE3GZB Ham Member QRZ Page

Tried it yesterday. FT8 with WSJT-X on 20 is bursting at the seams with activity. I can switch immediately to the JS8 mode and choose the appropriate 20m frequency from the menu. The radio does accept the new frequency so there is no disruption in the link between software and radio control.

But it's like a ghost town with tumbleweeds in terms of any apparent activity. The software seems to be able to detect the radio (IC-7300) and the waterfall display responds to any atmospheric activity such as QRM which causes the waterfall display to react accordingly.

But I've still not seen any other kind of activity.

KN4CRD likes this.
  6. KN4CRD

That's all timing and your station RX performance. There's about 3000% fewer JS8 operators online compared to FT8 since it's only been public for 9 days :) We saw the same "ghosttown" when FT8 was released. So, give it time and have some patience. Also, check PSKReporter or HamSpots to see where the operators are hanging out.

Best,
    Jordan / KN4CRD

7. KN4CRD

It isn't **technically** limited to FT8 other than it is a mode with weak signal performance and good FEC. Maybe we'll see it expand out in the future :) I am, however, just one guy doing this for fun so I have to prioritize my energy!

8. N5ABI

N5ABI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I downloaded it this morning. I can't wait to try it, but it will have to wait until Monday. I've held off until a public release. Thanks to the whole team for the hard work.

KN4CRD likes this.
  9. KN4CRD

10. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Not related to FT8 ??? Its built on the FT8 protocol. Dr. Joe Taylor invented the protocol. Jordan didn't come up with his own protocol for this.

It's more or less FT8 with a different interface.

John
    K4AGO

KN4CRD and W7UUU like this.