JS8 and WSJT-X stop decoding

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KD7WPQ, Sep 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KD7WPQ

KD7WPQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OK, first system specs...
    Linux mint 19
    Kernel 5.5.19 LowLatency
    Yeasu FT-857D
    Yeasu SCU-17 sound interface

I'm not sure what else you'd want to know but here's the problem....

When either JS8 or WSJT-X are running after a while and right after a TX the water fall will freeze up (in wsjt-x) or just draw straight lines but both will stop decoding completely.

I contacted Jordan about JS8 and he suspected the sound card is going to sleep so I disabled usb suspend but that didn't solve the problem.

Sometimes I can quick key a time or two and it'll snap out of it but not always.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

I do have RF chokes on everything so I don't think RFI is a issue.

2. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How often does this occur? There does appear to be a bug with the Win versions of WSJT-X that causes it to stop decoding or transmitting every once in a while (as a WAG once every two weeks). Closing and restarting the software "fixes" it. This has occurred with two different systems with different sound cards and radios. Considering how intermittent it is I would imaging trying to trace down the cause is pretty far down the list of priorities. Assuming your problem is arising from the same source issue.

3. KD7WPQ

KD7WPQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A friend of mine and I are having the same issue. Both of us are on Linux Mint though I'm running a different kernel.
    On my Raspberry Pi I haven't seen this issue, it just seems to work.

I have noticed that sometimes it'll do it pretty quick and other times it'll take a little bit but usually no more than a few minutes upwards towards 10 minutes give or take but generally right after Tx and yes closing the app and restarting it does fix the problem until it does it again. Problem is if I send a CQ or reply and it locks up then I've missed whatever reply was out there until I get the app back up.