jpg to pdf conversion

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by NM7G, Dec 4, 2019 at 6:11 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

Any experience here using Nuance Power PDF Standard? I want to batch convert several dozen files on HDD from .jpg to .pdf. In the hour plus I searched on web, I don't get a solid sense about Power PDF's ability to handle cursive writing, which may appear on some images, as well as convert common printable fonts. It does seem suitable for imagery from what I read.

This for a one-time conversion, so I'm unwilling to spend a bundle. I don't need to scan, but just convert. Is there an alternative utility that's not $200+. Thank you.

2. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you just use a PDF printer to do it? Something like CutePDF Writer or something contained in one of the word processors?

KK4NSF and KP4SX like this.
  3. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

It sounds like you want it turned into text. The suggestion from K7JEM will work but it will still be an image. Optical Character Recognition to turn it into text is a whole different level of problem.

4. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

download and use LibreOffice.... it has a pdf printer built right in. It's so easy, even a General Class OP can us it!

Or use CutePDF.

5. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

Try jpgtopdf. It is an on-line converter. I tested it with 4 jpg files totaling 751 kb and it created a pdf file of 674 kb. My files had sequential numbers as the file names, and it arranged the pdf pages in order.

https://jpg2pdf.com/

Ted, KX4OM

6. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A quick print shop will have Acrobat Professional.

Pay them for their time, it won't take long.

Or mail your files to me. I'll convert and OCR them.

7. KA5IGI

KA5IGI Ham Member QRZ Page

OCR conversion of cursive writing is extremely difficult and IMHO nothing works 100%. If the cursive writing is very consistent (not likely), you might be able to use some of the advanced packages that implement "training". Since this is a one time deal, maybe you just need to bite the bullet and pay for transcription.

8. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

What he ↑ wrote. If you want to do it on the cheap, hire a kid in college or high school to do the typing.