ad: chuckmartin

Join The Pine Board Builders

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K9EID/SK2024, Aug 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KE0GHU

KE0GHU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

thanks for all the help :)

2. WP2ASS

WP2ASS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bob,

Very cool.. Glad you brought this around to fruition. Bringing as many people (back) to AM is a good thing.

You gonna get WB6ACU to build one and drop in on the AMI net anytime soon?

Thinking of building one with my son. Keep up the great work!

--Shane
    KD6VXI

3. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

It can't be stressed strongly enough that the 6V6 be of the glass envelop variety - NOT the black, metallic case type. I have no technical reference to base this on, however...

...part of the allure and magic of hollow state electronics is the glow of that filament in your shack with subdued lighting. And with a mis-tuned or heavily taxed PA tube, you just might see the plate start to glow, too. Ahhh! The magic!

You just can't get that from a metal case 6V6. If you're going to use one, you may as well go with a solid state final, as the MQ (Magic Quotient) will be the same: zero.

Jeff WN1MB
    Winsted CT
    http://alienjeff.net

ZL1API likes this.
  4. G4JQT

G4JQT Ham Member QRZ Page

That looks really good. Very nostalgic for us older ones.

Is there an all Octal valve/tube version for a really vintage feel?

5. WA4JQS

WA4JQS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Bob
    been a long time since our days at the days inn Dayton.. glad to see this type of projects showing up.. you have me cleaning the dust off the work bench and heating up the iron again.. thanks for a great project
    73 Tony WA4JQS / VP8SSI / 3Y0PI

6. K2PAA

K2PAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bob, brings back a lot of memories. Now we need a regenerative receiver to go along with it!

7. KA7GZR

KA7GZR Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope somebody advises builders that wood is not a good practice for enclosures or parts of enclosures. It becomes imperative when associated with high energy circuits. I won't necessary be concerned about tubes being hot as an ignition source but rather a fault generating heat and igniting the wood is more concerning. That's why you never see wood being used as an enclosure any more unless the high energy circuits are enclosed with a non-flammable sub-enclosure.
    Having worked for Underwriters Laboratory (UL) I saw many examples of poor enclosure designs like this. Luckily there was a "policeman" before they were released to the public.
    I know using surplus wood from our shops was an inexpensive way to build an enclosure-I did the same 50 years ago. We all have learned what could happen and it's what we should "Elmer" to the new people to our hobby. It's important as good circuit design.

8. ZL2FAE

ZL2FAE Ham Member QRZ Page

My first transmitter was a crystal controlled valve lineup with plate modulation. I built it on a u shaped tinplate chassis. I'm still trying to recover it from the person I gave it to. Pineboard is a fantastic idea !!! 73 Simon ZL2FAE

9. AK4QA

AK4QA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello guys, what is this drawing program and can I get a copy.

10. KA5CDU

KA5CDU Ham Member QRZ Page

Surface mount Transmitter.jpg
    I dont have enough pine for one of these... :)
    So wil give yours a try. looks like fun.

11. VE3IPS

VE3IPS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is an awesome project. Thanks for the innovation

12. KD8OCT

KD8OCT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page