Johnson Viking Valiant Linear Amp

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by N1BCG, Feb 17, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

While AM and CW operation are well documented on the Johnson Viking Valiant, its single sideband capability is far less so. As such, I worked up the nerve tonight to try it out.

Why does that require "nerve"? As I see it, my Valiant has worked great with no sparks, flames, or burning smells since January 27, 2015, so why taunt fate? That's where nerve comes in...

Normally, an "SSB adapter" would be connected to J5, the rarely discussed SO-239 connector on the rear of the chassis. By today's standards, this adapter could also be a low power SSB transmitter. AH-HAH! I have one of those! A review of the Valiant operating manual (pages 18-19) reveals that the transmitter is basically tuned up normally on the desired frequency. There's a bit of discussion about adapter settings and alignment, but since I was using an Icom 706, I was confident that it was putting out a proper single sideband signal.

The Valiant provides a non-inductive 50Z load on J5, provided by R10 and R54 which are both 100 Ohm, 2 Watt carbon resistors in parallel. I then set up the Valiant and IC-706 for the same frequency and began testing with the Icom power on its lowest setting.

Incredibly, everything worked well and the Valiant did indeed amplify the Icom's SSB output to 150Watts PEP.

Admittedly, I could have gotten 100W PEP without the Valiant, but I thought the application was interesting, and for those who have QRP SSB transmitters, the Viking Valiant can prove useful for bringing that power up a bit.

5B194564-94EE-4C1E-9E04-0634414AE882.jpeg BAB4E7F2-BB1C-4CD4-A2BB-8DB950AF42E8.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    W6ELH and K3XR like this.
  2. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Good information, don't know I'll ever use it but nice to see someone did and that it worked as advertised.

3. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

And those Heath SB-10 adapters are almost free or get a CE-10A, 10B, 20A or similar low power rigs from the past.
    There are also plenty of modern QRP SSB xcvrs available.

Carl

K7TRF likes this.
  4. W6ELH

W6ELH Ham Member QRZ Page

Because I'm trying to get a CE 20-A station up, I had read of using the Johnson Viking Valiant as an amplifier. Looked at one briefly at a recent hamfest, but I confess I balked at the idea of carrying that rascal up the stairs to the shack! I have a cross-country move on the horizon. Might have to find one after that. :)

Jim... W6ELH