ad: Amateur-1

Johnson Ranger Questions

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KI4AX, Dec 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
  1. KI4AX

KI4AX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello to all:

I am getting ready to set up my Vintage AM station. Transmitter will be a Johnson Ranger. I have brewed up a changer over relay that works similar to a Dow Relay (I think).

My first question is about the 'Tune' position of the Johnson's 'Operate' switch. I want/need to know if there is any output to the Antenna (center conductor of antenna jack) during the 'Tune' mode?

Second, upon viewing the Johnson Ranger's drawing it appears to me that the hot side of the Relay Terminal only becomes hot when the 'Phone' or 'CW' position of the 'Operate' switch is selected. It makes sense, but I would like to verify that.

IOW, do I need a dummy load or antenna connected in the Tune mode?

I am asking these questions because my relay keeps the antenna connected to the receiver until it becomes energized. As I have relay set up right now there will not be any antenna or dummy load connected to the Transmitter while in the Tune Mode. Unless I am interpreting the drawing wrong and the relay terminal is 'hot' when the operate switch is set to Tune.

Hope this makes sense....

Thanks

Dan KI4AX

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes there is, but it's very small.

3. KL7AJ

However, I'd still use a shorting type antenna relay...especially if you're using a modern receiver.

4. KL7AJ

From the official manual:

Operate'Switch. This switch, located to the left of the VFO escutcheon, is a dual ceramic wafer rotary switch that provides the follOWing functions: a. "0fflt position. No voltages applied to any cir~uits.

b • "Tune-.II· posi tion . (1) Turns on all filaments, dial light, meter light. (2) TUrns on low and hi voltage power supplies. (3) Leaves ,H.V. B+ and screen voltage off modulators. (4) Disables final amplifier.

5. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The antenna relay is NOT, repeat NOT, energized when the transmitter is put in the "tune" position. It is energized in both the Phone and CW position but, again, NOT energized when in tune position. Therefore, there is no connection to the antenna and the signal is contained completely within the transmitter cabinet when the antenna is connected through an external relay.

There is a direct connection to the AC input on one side of the relay jack at all times. But, there is no connection to the "other" side of the AC line until the switch is put in either CW or Phone.

If you need a connector for the antenna relay jack, I do make them.

http://nebula.wsimg.com/854c7e577fb...50C433DB440D6B60D&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Glen, K9STH

6. KI4AX

KI4AX Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the replies....

Well, that's what I needed to know. I didn't think I needed a dummy load in the tune position but I like to get a little confirmation sometimes.

The way I have my relay set up the receiver (a Hallicrafters SX-96) is silenced through one set of the contacts.

I appreciate the offer of the relay cable Glen, but I already have something made up. I just happened to have an empty crystal case laying around and I used it.

Now, I just need to get everything set in place, hooked up, and start calling CQ....

Thanks again

Dan KI4AX