ad: TheAtCo-1

Johnson Ranger Maximum Key Down Time

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by WQ4G, Feb 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Greetings to all:

I've looked online and in the manual and can not seem to find anything on it... Can someone tell me what the maximum key down time is for a Johnson Ranger when operated within recommended specs? Since the rig is an AM rig I would think that it doesn't have a maximum, but I would like to verify that. I don't want to push it too hard so I'd like to know the limit...

Dan WQ4G

2. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Dan, I don't think there is a Keydown time limitation.

I would make sure the bias system voltage and the final screen voltage (Vsg is set by the clamp tube circuit), is within specs.

Pheel

WQ4G likes this.
  3. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Maximum keydown time is just under 67 years as that's about when they were first introduced.

W2BTK, AC0OB and WQ4G like this.
  4. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a Ranger 1 from the second series (has the keying chassis) as a 15 w. driver for a 4-1000A on 160 m. Audio tubes pulled & power reduction is done with 2000 ohm w.w. resistor in series with B+ to final screen and plate basically making it a Navigator. It sits and drives and I don't worry about it. But anything can crap out eventually. If you have taken steps to replace old marginal parts, protect the mod. transformer and keep it ventilated it should be fine. The only thing I can think of that might crap out eventually is the power supply transformer. Not sure how robust it is, and it is supplying all needed voltages. One "ham rig" that really was made to run key down no time limit was the Hallicrafters HT-20.

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would test it using a IR thermometer.

Proper ventilation helps a lot.

6. W7TFO

W7TFO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That is kinda' like asking "How long will my car run".

Take care of it and it will take care of you.

73DG

KA9JLM likes this.