ad: elecraft

John Berth of Plainsville, KY Scam to obtain General Merchandise on QRZ

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KK0DJ, Jul 22, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KK0DJ

KK0DJ Subscriber QRZ Page

Today I had a response to my listing of an iPhone 6 for sale in the General Merchandise Swap Forum. John contacted me via Facebook Messenger and asked about the phone, then wanted to use PayPal to send funds. He said he had sent money to me via PayPal, but I hadn't received confirmation of payment nor was there a record of incoming funds on PayPal. I convinced him to send me an email to prove that he had sent the funds to PayPal (my account.) He sent the email and it was a bad copy of a genuine payment confirmation. However, the email address and Top Level Domain were incorrect - it showed him using paymentonline@asia.com. So I sent back to him that I caught on to his scam and he instantly disappeared. John Berth has a FB account with photos of him. He gave his address as 20 Lewis Rd., Plainsville, KY. In checking the Johnson County Assessor office online, I found that John is a renter at that address IF indeed he lives at that address. He is not a Ham either. I have submitted a complaint to the Consumer Protection Agency and plan on also submitting a complaint to the Johnson County Sheriff tomorrow.

WB5THT, KG5THG, KI5OP and 2 others like this.
  2. KI5OP

KI5OP Ham Member QRZ Page

Good catch! I hear of so many scams that I wont buy nothing unless in person or large Co. Sad to see how scammers mess things up for others.

W0XX, KK0DJ and WB5THT like this.