ad: Flexradio-1

Joe Spier, K6WAO, resigns as AMSAT President

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Feb 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KT5OT

KT5OT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

sounds like a bunch of liberals!

KN4ULD, N2NOV and W1YW like this.
  2. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It would be infinitely more interesting to know the real reason why he resigned than the babble on this thread.

W4POT, KA2FIR and K4BAD like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Haven't you noticed?

The powers that be keep us in the dark over the reasons for the recent bout of turnovers...guess we just can't handle the truth!

Chip W1YW

KE5ES likes this.
  4. N0DZQ

N0DZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Kinda funny... we piss and moan the hobby is waning and it needs more people. After reading recent threads, including this one, It is apparent there is a growing segment which wishes to speed up its demise.

We should be cognizant to fact that newbies, wannabes, and possibly REGULATORS peruse “Zed”. Before posting that curt statement... think. Think hard on how you want to project yourself or how it will reflect upon the hobby.

N2NOV and KE5ES like this.
  5. AF4RK

AF4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that applies to both of them. Chip is certainly brilliant, but humility is not one of his many virtues.

ND6M and N2NOV like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Look:

I don't use 'fancy words' to intimidate. I use them because it's who I am. That doesn't 'make less' anyone else. And if one takes it that way then you missed the point: let people come into their own. 'Realized' people help realize others.

At 65, I am quite comfortable in my skin. Decades of people trying to shame me into being someone else--or 'going away' for their benefit --have only successfully taught me that selfish motivations and ignorance are often the main drivers for that behavior. It has nothing to do with me. It has everything to do with them.

Joe is a great guy and I am saddened he is not leading AMSAT now.

My point, which obviously I was not 'allowed' to express --in my own way-- is that the shakeups we are experiencing in ham radio leadership in the US are counterproductive to the continuation of the Part 97 amateur radio service.

Your opinion may differ, and probably does.

Again, comment on Joe, OK? This is not a 'Chip' thread. Thanks.

Chip W1YW

KN4ULD likes this.
  7. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a hoax...

8. N5RXP

N5RXP Ham Member QRZ Page

morbid scrupulosity.....ipse dixit Turris

W1YW likes this.
  9. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought that might happen; don't tell me! Duck Dynasty producers caught a look and signed him up for a new upcoming season(?)

W1YW likes this.
  10. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I really hope he didn't resign as a result of the apparent churnings on the board. Just saw a few emails on the BB reflector that made me wonder when I saw this announcement, not too long afterwards.

Anytime I read "citing personal reasons" in a resignation I think "organizational reasons".

Hope I'm wrong.

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Joe is an in- the-trenches kinda guy....suspect there were differences of opinion on approaches for future flights.

No info, ultimately, is 'no info'.

12. KE5ES

KE5ES Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Positions of leadership in many organizations have difficulties that are not shared publicly. When discord happens it is 'unprofessional' to air it publicly and sound as though you are not getting your way. It is the same in clubs and churches. He did a great job at staying so long and moving the hobby forward. May his future opportunities work out well for him.

KD8TUT, AC0ZJ and W1YW like this.
  13. KD8TUT

KD8TUT Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes you just get tired.

Anyone who has served on a board, especially a non-profit, can probably relate. It was ten years for me before I burned out.

Sometimes "personal reasons" is a nice way of saying "I'm done with this crap".

KA2CZU and KE5ES like this.
  14. KE5ES

KE5ES Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I totally agree. After a couple of positions I held in life (won't mention where) I just looked at myself in the mirror and said "It is time to return to a simpler life." Think about that. Trying to help run an organization for years and years the temptation to just go over to your radio, turn it on, and operate for the fun of it has to be a VERY tempting position. CQ, CQ, CQ. De KE5ES .......

W1YW likes this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It's time to be done with THIS cr*p....(above red). Unless it's a thread about me (and that's hardly what I WANT), then leave personal interpretations out of it. Then, making that huge leap, apply the same policy to others. Like Joe, for example.

I am now officially 'elderly' so that NOW gives me permission to be a cantankerous ol' coot. You won't like me as a cantakerous ol' coot. ;-) You won't like yourself for tangling in that web either. So, don't throw the switch. Nice is preferred on both sides.

"Lead with friendly".

Just make the effort to be nice, and lacking that, at least be factual.

If there is some warped, power hungry person leading ham radio groups I have yet to see one. Ham radio ops hardly hang back in complaining. It takes a special kind of person to navigate that and remain un-jaded. Joe is one of them.

Clay, W5PFG, is the new AMSAT president. Want to help him out? LEAD WITH FRIENDLY :)

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    KE5ES likes this.